Organic matter

The reason my first answer was a little too pointy is that I was pissed that so much of this info was sent down the tubes on the old forum thanks to the SOBs at you know who! Had nothing to do w the OP question. There was so many years of info there that is very hard to get back up to speed w a new forum and everyone spread over 3 forums. Such a loss. Done ranting.
Drycreek u are correct on that exclusion cage. And anyone w sandy soil or any soil for that matter ,just has to see CNCs pics of the 2 ft deep holes he dug over the years showing soils developing from nothing to nearly a foot deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too bad about the old forum. But I just love planting stuff, and they can't take that away.

The reason my first answer was a little too pointy is that I was pissed that so much of this info was sent down the tubes on the old forum thanks to the SOBs at you know who! Had nothing to do w the OP question. There was so many years of info there that is very hard to get back up to speed w a new forum and everyone spread over 3 forums. Such a loss. Done ranting.
Drycreek u are correct on that exclusion cage. And anyone w sandy soil or any soil for that matter ,just has to see CNCs pics of the 2 ft deep holes he dug over the years showing soils developing from nothing to nearly a foot deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes CNC does an awesome job of building up his soils. Those pics were nice

I'd suggest going to the Smartmix calculator on the Green Cover Seed website https://smartmix.greencoverseed.com
Smartmix calculator is a great tool. It will ask you a few basics like your zip code, planting method, planting date, acres to plant, etc.
Then it asks you to prioritize 3 goals. (building OM is one of the goals to choose from).
It then allows you to choose from lists of a variety of seeds.
As you plug in different varieties, the calculator "rates" several outcomes, based on your stand goals. It also rates the C-N ratio, and also rates the potential effects of the mix...stuff like nitrogen fixing, grazing, drought and frost tolerances, and a few others.
It also advises seeding rates, and price to deliver it to your door.
BE WARNED...Smartmix Calculator is addictive. You can spend hours playing with different mixes. And be prepared to want to try more stuff that you probably have space to plant it.

Last edited:
Back