Opinions?

useyourbow

60 acres of the land I lease was clear cut last April. I fully understand that in two to three years it will be the deer go to place. My question for now is if there is little deer sign in this cut over now even after the spring green up with natural food abundent would a food plot on the edge of cover actually draw deer in? Eastern North Carolina

I am waiting on a 10 acre spot to become a deer hiding place. But i have begun clearin a side area as food plot to draw them out

Food plus cover always equals deer if you have deer in the neighborhood. Clover is an easy plot that does well on poorer soils. Red or crimson starts easier than ladino in the spring. A light mix of small grain for a nurse crop, and a shot of fertilizer low in nitrogen.

60 acres of the land I lease was clear cut last April. I fully understand that in two to three years it will be the deer go to place. My question for now is if there is little deer sign in this cut over now even after the spring green up with natural food abundent would a food plot on the edge of cover actually draw deer in? Eastern North Carolina

Always...particularly if that plot is relatively small and surrounded by cover, itself.

With that said, the 60 acres will be a giant food plot this winter, with deer foraging happily on the tips of woody growth when little else is available. This is more critical "Up North" than it is in gentler climates, but still very important. This presumes the 60 acres is going to be allowed to regenerate naturally and not planted in row pines.

How much ground do you have to plant a plot on?

Always...particularly if that plot is relatively small and surrounded by cover, itself.

With that said, the 60 acres will be a giant food plot this winter, with deer foraging happily on the tips of woody growth when little else is available. This is more critical "Up North" than it is in gentler climates, but still very important. This presumes the 60 acres is going to be allowed to regenerate naturally and not planted in row pines.

How much ground do you have to plant a plot on?

My intentions at this point is to have a dozer clear tops/stumps for an acre on the south end and 1/2 acre on the north end. Considering just having him clear between rows of stumps to create rows of sparse weed/brush cover instead of a wide open acre. My main question was will a one acre food plot draw deer if they are not currently using the area to any great extent. Normally when I have had plots, feeders, mineral licks they have been placed near normal travel corridors so they were no brainers.

That cutover will draw them in for you, and the plots will help them spend more time there. Last fall one of my neighbors to the south cleared all his woods. My plot closest to them immediately began seeing more use. Until that cutover gets pressured (dogs in eastern NC) it should make a food plot more attractive. I wouldnt expect heavy browse on your plot during spring or fall when there are lots of browse in that cutover.

Definitely make some trails and roads that benefit you as a hunter for when the cutover begins to grow up and get too thick to see through.

My opinion is that a food source will attract them.....it may not make them stay. The amount and quality of cover you have AND where the deer will come from will impact that. If the deer have to come from a long way - it won't do that much. If the cover you have is pretty limited they may only visit at night. Deer are fairly curious as it is, so they will investigate and if they find something to their liking they will return. If they feel safe some will even stay. Also keep in mind does in particular are not real picky about their cover needs. Bucks and especially mature bucks are a totally different animal. Does will bed in cover that may struggle to hide a rabbit....if the food is there. I would suggest you plant something to cover as much of the year as you can and/or be prepared to bounce back and forth with what you plant between the two plots. If you lack cover to hold those deer....once the food dries up.....so will the deer.....until they move to the browse and then they will be there....but will be much harder to pattern. If you lack the cover - the pressure the deer see/feel will also have a significant impact on what you see and when.

I realize you want deer to hunt this year, but it sounds like you have as close to a blank slate as many of us will get, so seize the opportunity to prepare and work on the long term plan.....if you can. Plot locations, stand sites and access to and from are all those things that you have far more control over now than you may in 5 or 10 years. By doing this now, you can be all set and ready to go as your cover improves year after year and you can be enjoying it instead of having to bust butt trying to get things in place.

Back