Night time Coyote Hunting

200 yards? Fire away! Love my thermal...
I'm with you on that one 200 yd red is dead, I'll take a 200 yard shot on a dog any second of the day I have shot up to 500 yards away I missed way more than I've hit I have probably tried that 500 yd shot 16 times and I've only killed four dogs with my 300 win mag

Calling with coyote vocalizations is great for locating spots to call with prey distress calls or you need a lot of patient after your initial calling sequence and hope that a coyote is interested to respond. I have never had success calling with repeated coyote vocalizations after the first sequence. Keep your lights high and dont hit them with the main beam until you are ready to shoot, no matter what light color you have. My opinion night is for sleeping and skinning those yotes you kill in the daylight. I have never found night calling to be nearly as effective as day calling, fun yes, efficient no.
I agree with Turkey Creek 100% you can overdo it with your calling and it will just put a bad sound in their ears and they will not come out and the only effective coyote call that I've used was the pups crying I've called out a few with that but it's got to be the right time of the year also they know when they pup when they don't but again also being too loud with your caller

Being that said they will also circle around and try to get the smell to their favor to locate it better and to see if it's really wounded animal

Looks very productive, but requires night imaging. A couple years ago I was surrounded by coyotes on the way to my bow hunting stand. It sounded like three packs at 10, 2, and 4, but I couldn't see them. On some nights I hear coyotes and on other nights I don't. Is that because they roam, or are they still there but not howling?

I have seen coyotes chase deer and know they prey on fawns, so coyotes need management.

Well my experience is with them they all need to die when one of my German Shepherds has a litter of pups out in the kennels and they're whelping boxes they smell the placenta and the afterbirth then after a few days they start to hear the whining and the crying and I've seen them up next to the the kennels trying to figure out how to get a hold of them so yeah I'll take them out on the skinny second

I hope this doesnt come across as a know it all or being a a$$ but you are calling too much with coyote vocalization sounds. I spent a number of years trapping and killing coyotes professionally for the government. Not just a easy coyote here and there, but the coyotes that needed to be killed and killed now due to livestock predation. You need to understand something, Randy Anderson along with other people are in the business to sell their products. Do they show it working on You Tube or a tv show, sure, but do you know how many hours they filmed to get that sequence to make it look like it is the only way to get it done. I live in a country that is wide open and so I can see coyote behavior from a long ways off. The results you are getting are the results I would expect from the tactics you are using. How much barking are you hearing as compared to howling? We kill a lot of coyotes at 200 yards, and maybe your terrain and habitat dont allow for that long of a shot. However, that coyote is now at a distance where it needs to decide whether closing that distance is in its best interest. What is going to respond to a female invitation sequence ..... a single male that thinks he is tough enough to fight off any other competitors. Whats going to come to a mating sequence call ...... a male coyote that thinks he can drive off another male or a sexually confused coyote:confused:. Most coyotes by this time of year are already paired up and unless their mate gets killed they arent actively pursuing another one.

Without knowing the lay of the land where you are calling or the amount of calling pressure you have in your area this might not be spot on, but maybe get you over the hump. See if you can locate a single coyote around sundown. Set up to call in a spot where you are down wind of that coyote and have as much open area between you and the coyote as possible. Let your call make 1 or two female invitation howls. Then do not play your call again for 20 mins. No other sounds. Then if you feel there is still potential at the location repeat the invitation howl again and wait.

You are not going to get into a "conversation" with a E- caller and live coyotes and come out the winner. Coyote vocalizations are a lot more complex than that. Pup in distress during denning season is a good call to go to. Why dont you want to use a prey type sound?
That's one of the areas I'm messing up I usually start out with a rabbit in distress and I will wait about 10 to 15 minutes I would say and then I'll switch to the pup in distress depending on what time of year it is looks like you said they've already picked their mates right now I don't know I'm just confused this thing comes out broad daylight and walks up within 15 to 20 foot from this girl and staying out here in the camper I didn't get a full visual on the second coyote signing butt I saw enough of it as it was ducking into the woods to know that's what it was

Back