Neighbors Cows coming onto my land (Georgia)

Had this happen once. My dad "accidentally" hit one with his van. When the sheriff got there and then asked the owner if it was his cow, he claimed he didn't have any cows. Actually all 20 of them that were raping us were his. But, since now he didn't have any, we put 20 in the freezer.

Had this happen once. My dad "accidentally" hit one with his van. When the sheriff got there and then asked the owner if it was his cow, he claimed he didn't have any cows. Actually all 20 of them that were raping us were his. But, since now he didn't have any, we put 20 in the freezer.
That's a lot of freezer space!

That is a lot of meat at one time.
Would have a generator on stand by.

I lost a brother in 84. Farmer let his fence get run down. Cows got in the highway. The vehicle swerved to miss one and struck another one. Four lane highway.

Keep your pasture fenced up, please, cattle farmers.

Well, I received a call from my neighbor.

He acknowledged that his cows were getting out and that he had been having trouble with a couple of places, due to some down trees that were coming from my side of the property after storms. This is very understandable as my property is all timber on that property line and his is pasture. I am constantly having to remove trees on our internal road system, so I have no doubts that what he is saying is true. He also said that the cows break the fence trying to eat the acorns that fall from my oaks, and that this time of the year is always the worst because of the acorns.

I told him I had bought a roll of barbed wire and some staples, and would leave it by the fence for him after I got done patching up any areas I saw. I advised him I would make a habit from here on out of walking the property line, chainsaw in hand. Our side originally put up the fence back in the 1930s. It has been a couple of generations since anyone from our side of the property has paid any attention to/helped with maintenance of the fence. We used to have cows about 25 yrs ago. He is older and has been dealing with it all this time as best as he could, so he seemed appreciative of my interest and enthusiasm. He mentioned maybe getting a new fence one of these days and I told him point blank I would split it with him.

We talked about the fence, feral dogs, coyotes, the decline in deer numbers, other historical relationships between the two properties and families. We share many of the same concerns. It was a very good conversation and I am glad to "know" my neighbor now. I am optomistic about the future.

It always amazes me just how long barb wire lasts. Some fences I see are well over 50 years old, same old wire. It does turn to junk sometimes but it lasts sooooo long. That's part of the reasons people don't keep up with them sometime. It goes through generations with just repair work now and then.

great news on the outcome. You know the saying, good fences make good neighbors. Glad you two are working it out with no hard feelings.

todd

Great news! I can tell you that keeping up fence in a forest can be full time. I purposely trim, cut, and don't plant on fence lines to keep cattle from nosing through.

You're a good man. More of these situations could be worked out this way, and would people would reap more rewards in the end, than they gain with attorneys and law suits.

Back