Natives ....from scratch?

gjs4

There are threads with aspects of this ....but after a bunch of searching couldn't find a cumulative one to help me road map this. It is also on a couple of deer habitat forums.

We have 15 ac of invasive junk being mulched (in southern Ohio) and don't believe the landscape was ever populated "by the good guys" here (as it appear just to be lousy strip mine cover/fill which is common for coal country). So out go the bad guys....the next generations of them will likely attempt to (re)establish fast due to decades of seed in/atop the soil. At home i'd run a disc and see what pops....not the case here. I am also not sure on what sprays to follow up with....or at what interval(s).

We are looking to get some good stuff going with regard to natives- for critter cover or food. Ive got the Harper plant book and can make some guesses from there as to what forbs belong ....but not sure on grasses or plant rates or even good places to buy them? Id love ragweed, goldenrod, pokeweed....some more greenbriar, blackberry, raspberry, .....box elder, polar, willow and dogwood......and some grasses (to which i dont know whats "best"). Heck- Do I need a soil test? Ive been a deer on the bag kind of wannabe farmer for decades.....this is a whole new space for me

Has anyone ever established good natives in an area that hasnt had them? Is this possible? Advice- Resources-Thoughts?

Thank you all and always.

I have established species that didn't originally exist on my land but existed within my USDA Zone. I could name lots of grasses, forbs, shrubs and trees like that.

I would suggest calling John at Roundstone Native Seed and discussing your question with him. Even if there is a seed source closer to you that could provide more ecotype species for your area, his advice would still be valuable. I haven't looked for a while, but they used to have a free pamphlet you could download that went into detail about establishing native grasses and forbs.

Any trees and shrubs you establish should be chosen for your zone and soil conditions. You will more than likely have to cage most of them if your deer population is high, unless you do mass plantings and expect to lose a few. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just found Roundstone and sent them an email (and will follow up with a phone call if I don't hear back). Thank you for the reference. Thsi property is in se Ohio, not that far away from him at all.

For sure on the caging. There are a couple little low areas I whip planted some RO Dogwood.....it got mowed and Id say the population is not robust by any means.

Did you plant bedding or browse species (or a combo of both noting the mention of grasses)?

I just found Roundstone and sent them an email (and will follow up with a phone call if I don't hear back). Thank you for the reference. Thsi property is in se Ohio, not that far away from him at all.

For sure on the caging. There are a couple little low areas I whip planted some RO Dogwood.....it got mowed and Id say the population is not robust by any means.

Did you plant bedding or browse species (or a combo of both noting the mention of grasses)?

I planted about 12 acres of trees and shrubs + about 60 acres of prairie. You will probably really get into the following thread:

Edit - Just thought of another one you might like:

Last edited:
Had an amazing conversation with the biologist yesterday. I am a year (or more) out from planting though. Will be using a couple of their mixes (Deer & Turkey Habitat, Escape Cover)

Back