My Central Ky Habitat Addiction

Worked with my buddy Mike Friday on a good plot with very poor soil conditions from a previous owners pond build. I dumped about 5000+ lbs of poultry manure on a 1/4 acre and got it sprayed down with Gly. Gonna disk it in a couple of times before we try a fall planting. Not sure how it will do this year but know it will improve later!!

Found this persimmon struggling for light amidst a bunch of water maples next to this plot. Had some fruit but wasn't getting a good chance. I released him out for a better future!!

Hosted our 2nd Annual Taking Kids Outdoors Youth Conservation , Outdoor Safety, and Orange Card Cettification Class.

Hosted over 50 kids from 6 counties.

Featured:
-Orange Card Certification
- Tree Stand & Harness Demonstrations
- Water & Boater Safety from The Corp of Engineers
- Archery Class
- Bow Fishing
- Trapping Class
- Fishing
- and other fun events!!

Orange card class

Practicing now fishing

Trapping techniques

Made kids fall out of a low hung stand and get back in alone.

Few of us local guys started this a couple years ago.

We also host a large youth turkey hunt and are doing our first youth deer hunt this fall!!

For the first time all year I have all 9 acres of my tree plantations mowed @ one time.

I upgraded to this 90 inch finish mower:

Red Oak Site:

Native Pecans looking awesome :

To many this means nothing but to me it represents a long dream, a lot of work, and a hopeful legacy for my children!!!

I am officially the owner of a Certified American Tree Farm. This was much harder to accomplish than I imagined which makes it that much better I guess.

Got one last fall plot done. This is next to an old pond and has poor soil quality so I put 3 tons of poultry manure on it a month or so ago and dished it in really good. Don't know what this plot will do this year but gonna do the same thing in the spring and throw some radish on it to try and break the pan up some .

One of my favorite pics so far

My favorite buck so far:

Click for Video

Lance, you are a habitat machine!!!!!!!! Great pictures and progress.

Haha, thanks Steve. Truth is I am driven by others success. I have always had the internal drive to try and out work and out perform others . You have been one of my biggest motivators , your place appears to be a total dream place !! I am somewhat in an experimental stage now with the food plots and have some ideas on how my food plot future may proceed using standing grain sorghum & corn and double cropping my winter plots within those standing grains. But my true passion is natives & trees!!

Looking forward to following along (again) with a fellow KY habitat manager! Glad to see you made it over! I recommend getting the Tapatalk app... It makes uploading pictures to your thread a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whew, I finally caught up. Nice work on everything: Family, habitat, planting, plotting, cabin... I'll be following along to see your success!

Congrats on the tree farm status--well deserved.

So glad you brought your habitat thread over here. I enjoyed going through the old stuff and new stuff.

Great looking piece of property you have.
todd

Fawn numbers seem to be good. Have been seeing quite a few on camera checks and the seem to really be utilizing my " weed" patches and tree rows!!!

Caught this guy peaking out yesterday on a quick pass through.

I also said I was done with plots a couple weeks ago but decided to sow a couple acres of ridge tops above my tree plantations that I had never sown and a few swipes through my weed patches.
All were planted in turnips and/or radishes wth some garden variety added to a few areas next to stands.

Back