MN Deer numbers

True, I don't believe i saw every single deer in the area on that short drive. I obviously cannot speak for everyone but I am seeing as many deer as I ever have including back when guys did have multiple tags for multiple years. With only 300 doe tags in the area it will be interesting to see what it looks like next summer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think that our corner of the permit area has lower hunter per sq mile and not as much available access to public land compared to the eastern and southern part of the permit area. Far enough away from the bigger towns to keep the local pressure on public land down, and another 1/2 hour drive from the cities. The human population over about 4-5 townships is only around 3 people per sq mile.

I was happy to see it is still lottery, I would have been ok with more tags, say 500-600. Still a lot of big woods areas in the western part of the permit area away from the ag land where deer are a bit more scarce. And they also seem to get concentrated around residential and farming areas. It seems we need a better way to handle those small areas when the area is over 800 sq miles.

With a thread title of "MN deer numbers" I think it is important to not assume what we see locally is what the state as a whole is experiencing. That was/is part of the problem in this state. A guy who owns land in an area where there's 30 dpsm shouldn't assume that everywhere else with similar habitat has similar deer numbers....because that isn't the case.

With a thread title of "MN deer numbers" I think it is important to not assume what we see locally is what the state as a whole is experiencing. That was/is part of the problem in this state. A guy who owns land in an area where there's 30 dpsm shouldn't assume that everywhere else with similar habitat has similar deer numbers....because that isn't the case.
I don't think anyone made that assumption, I know I didnt. My first question in the opening thread was, "what do you think of the deer numbers in your area?" I personally think they are pretty good in the 2 of the 3 zones I hunt in and atleast in the part I am in in the other.

I think that our corner of the permit area has lower hunter per sq mile and not as much available access to public land compared to the eastern and southern part of the permit area. Far enough away from the bigger towns to keep the local pressure on public land down, and another 1/2 hour drive from the cities. The human population over about 4-5 townships is only around 3 people per sq mile.

I was happy to see it is still lottery, I would have been ok with more tags, say 500-600. Still a lot of big woods areas in the western part of the permit area away from the ag land where deer are a bit more scarce. And they also seem to get concentrated around residential and farming areas. It seems we need a better way to handle those small areas when the area is over 800 sq miles.
I do hunt maybe 20% on the 40 acres I am on, but do the majority on public woods. You are right, there is a ton of public land in our area but not alot of acess, I am just willing to walk in a couple miles from the parking spot if need be, alot of guys are not.

I don't think anyone made that assumption, I know I didnt. My first question in the opening thread was, "what do you think of the deer numbers in your area?" I personally think they are pretty good in the 2 of the 3 zones I hunt in and atleast in the part I am in in the other.

I see you list St. Paul as your location. I assume you live there then? Are you up to the three zones you hunt every weekend? Do you drive the entirety of those zones on a frequent basis?

I ask because my zone varies greatly. Where I'm at, the numbers are rebounding slowly but surely. In other parts of the zone just seeing a deer is a rare event. If I drive north just a few miles, I'm in a different zone. That zone is managed for (literally) 100% higher densities than my zone is. Seeing deer there is obviously much easier than it is here....but even in that zone there are areas with a "lot" of deer and others with many, many fewer.

I see you list St. Paul as your location. I assume you live there then? Are you up to the three zones you hunt every weekend? Do you drive the entirety of those zones on a frequent basis?

I ask because my zone varies greatly. Where I'm at, the numbers are rebounding slowly but surely. In other parts of the zone just seeing a deer is a rare event. If I drive north just a few miles, I'm in a different zone. That zone is managed for (literally) 100% higher densities than my zone is. Seeing deer there is obviously much easier than it is here....but even in that zone there are areas with a "lot" of deer and others with many, many fewer.
I am a city slicker but I spend 2 1/2 days a week for the last 3 months in 156 and 157, I spend time in different areas in both zones other than my windshield time passing thru. I think both herds are doing good in those zones. In the past couple weeks doing scouting for bear I have been getting to alot of areas in 173?. I have been bumping quite a few deer, granted I have only been in the southern edge. I am by no means saying the herd is up everywhere.

Back