Live from the stand 2016!

29e504ea9ddad4ced8867d171803546b.jpg

Couple bucks from this evening...bucks starting to group back up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive seen a lot of does bunched up in fields this past week. Tells me bucks arent harassing them like a couple weeks ago. Probably going to take that right gal to get an ole boy excited.

I am going to spend Thanksgiving morning in a tree. Havent hunting Thanksgiving morning in a lot of years. It was a tradition growing up. And...... i sighted in the muzzy this week. No more mr. Nice guy.:D

Anybody else heading to the deer woods tomorrow?

Fish, gonna do an early thanksgiving lunch with the family then blondie and I are heading back out for an evening hunt. Gonna spend the night at the 160 for a friday hunt also. Hopefully we will get lucky with a cruising buck searching for a late estrus doe.

Fish, gonna do an early thanksgiving lunch with the family then blondie and I are heading back out for an evening hunt. Gonna spend the night at the 160 for a friday hunt also. Hopefully we will get lucky with a cruising buck searching for a late estrus doe.

Based on when our first rut peaked, the second rut should be in full swing the first week in December at my place. I generally get more visiting deer in the second rut than the first. Then, since no one is there hunting them at that time, they stay around sometimes through January or February and enjoy the food plots.

Last edited:
I read somewhere once that a good wind to hunt a stand for a mature buck is when it is "almost" wrong...

Deer trust their nose above all other senses and bucks travel by their nose right now scent checking for that last estrous doe and to keep out of harms way...a south wind on our place is a no go in most every place and SE is not much better but I have a good stand in a location that is "almost" bad for that wind but not quite... I have made my way there via playing musical stands.

No deer seen yet but by the amount of shooting I am hearing the deer are definitely on their feet!

Oh yeah...

28 degrees, frosty, light fog, slight breeze ESE...

Johnny, we only had one morning the entire season with frost. We watched my wide 8 with short brow tines come through the plot that morning and the camera just happened to catch him. The thing we both noticed and commented on first was the frost on his back. The camera caught that frost pretty good.

I really wanted to hunt our south plot for the same reason because last Sunday morning it was 21 and we had a big new Buck in that plot checking does...

I just watched 7 does in 2 different groups head to our north plot. Shooting is heavy this morning around us. Estimate about 40 shots so far within a mile...

The wind sure can't make up its mind this morning. - just saw another buck. Man I'm in the wrong side of the pasture today!

Goood luck tonight. Hope you have to drag one on a full stomach.:)

4 does and a small buck for me this morning. Got smelled. :mad:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The wind sure can't make up its mind this morning. - just saw another buck. Man I'm in the wrong side of the pasture today!

Lots of deer movement was experienced this morning with 18 deer traveling and feeding near the tower stand I was resting in among the hickory trees. Only two were bucks;each checked out, harassed and scattered the does. The parade started within seconds after I entered the stand and continued on pretty steady until 11 AM. This made me so happy because the first couple of sits in this newly placed stand produced zero deer sightings!

Only one buck seen this am, he'll be a shooter next year. Headed back tomorrow for the rest of the week. Going to have my grandson with me for a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Well dang! One of the guys in my club got the buck I was after this morning. I hunted for him all muzzleloader season and they got him with guns while the dogs were running. He's even bigger than I thought!
2c7d84e4d03a63e96f89c00c87301262.jpg

7edc67258facc5d36deecd5eab95f150.jpg

a8b0f98bf396c333470269c1f4b2474f.jpg

3578b03d8e550de57f26ae347fd3aeb7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back