Live from the stand 2016!

Great hunt G3! What a nice buck! I'd have shot him on my place in a heartbeat congrats on a memorable hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great deer! I was expecting to see a pic of a spike or something but that's a real beauty. Congratulations to you both. 120 yards is quite a poke also;Your grandson must be quite a practiced shooter.
Thank you. I'd like to say he was a practiced shooter but I've only had him on a few practice sessions and earlier this year he shot a doe. I was hesitant to let him shoot that distance but he had already practiced aiming at a few doe, and then a smaller buck that I gave him the green light on before it ran off so the jitters were past. Also a good broadside shot & good light, a good rest, conditions were perfect. The only thing that I'll be giving serious thought to is the. 243, crashed after 40 yds but absolutely no blood trail. I'll get a better look tomorrow when I skin it but there was no exit, there should have been. I'll be prepping him with a .308 soon.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Great hunt G3! What a nice buck! I'd have shot him on my place in a heartbeat congrats on a memorable hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I enjoyed the hunt as much as he did. A memory maker for certain.

Congrats to your grandson on a fine buck!

What bullet were you using in the .243? My wife shoots that cartridge and 100 grain Cor-lokts seem to work perfectly with great expansion and short track jobs...

What bullet were you using in the .243? My wife shoots that cartridge and 100 grain Cor-lokts seem to work perfectly with great expansion and short track jobs...
Thanks Johnny, federal fusion I believe 95 gr I'll get a look when I skin it, maybe hit the off shoulder. Still feel it should have passed through.

28 with a freezing fog where I am this morning. When I was walking in past some big red cedar trees a bunch of dove that were rooster busted out in the dark with whistling wings and a few more feet a deer began to blow a mere 20 yards away between me and the stand. A really good buck has been using this area in the mornings early and I hope it was not him...

I've got the man cub in a box blind this am, Lil buddy heater and he's already asleep.
9c79d8cd75d62eaa7fd6b0dc42838a45.jpg

Getting pretty foggy
44f577c5cc49581aa7e11aa8a88eec14.jpg

Thanks Johnny, federal fusion I believe 95 gr I'll get a look when I skin it, maybe hit the off shoulder. Still feel it should have passed through.

Haven't had experience with that round...

A few years ago my wife was sitting a stand on our deer lease on the side of a hill watching a bench below her and a really nice buck followed a die through and sh shot and the deer dropped. I heard her shoot so I went to her. She was still in her stand when I walked up to the buck and marveled at the fist sized ENTRY hole but there was no exit. I looked back towards her position in the stand and noticed a small tree slightly less thick than my wife's wrist that she had shot a hole perfectly through on the way to her deer which was standing just past it. Bullet hit the deer in full mushroom mode... .243 100 grain cor-lokt.

Haven't had experience with that round...

A few years ago my wife was sitting a stand on our deer lease on the side of a hill watching a bench below her and a really nice buck followed a die through and sh shot and the deer dropped. I heard her shoot so I went to her. She was still in her stand when I walked up to the buck and marveled at the fist sized ENTRY hole but there was no exit. I looked back towards her position in the stand and noticed a small tree slightly less thick than my wife's wrist that she had shot a hole perfectly through on the way to her deer which was standing just past it. Bullet hit the deer in full mushroom mode... .243 100 grain cor-lokt.
Amazing it didn't deflect. I do have some Remington shells but thought the fusions might be better. The doe he shot had a good exit and blood but it was a 40 yd shot.

So after skinning I was able to see an exit wound. Deer was quartering away, bullet entered mid body just behind the shoulder, hit a rib and deflected up exiting the neck. I'm guessing the body cavity didn't fill with blood enough before it fell to leave a trail. Deer did go down quick, between 30& 40 yds.

Last edited:
So after skinning I was able to see an exit wound. Deer was quartering away, bullet entered mid body just behind the shoulder, hit a rib and deflected up exciting the neck. I'm guessing the body cavity didn't fill with blood enough before it fell to leave a trail. Deer did go down quick, between 30& 40 yds.

Forgot to mention, the exit wound was really small, so much so I didn't see it until skinned. It didn't appear to have much expansion even though it took out a rib.

Sitting on the couch watching football with bronchitis. No hunting for me this weekend. Good luck out there guys.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

This morning (RAINING) had 10 or 11 does walk by close and 48 (counted) turkeys walk by in single file 10 yards away from me in a soft shell blind. It was amazing the windows were fully open and the screens were in place. Evidently the screens kept me hidden from the turkeys as well as the deer. This is another blind that failed to produce much two weeks ago.

No bucks again signaling to me it's over but then there were two freshly remade ground scrapes observed on the way in. Tracks showed though that the buck that made them had smallish feet and previous pics over that scrape three weeks ago showed a spike working it so the freshly remade scrapes may not mean much.

I'm not sure if we're in a late rut here or the second rut. This guy has been trailing doe all week. I passed him on our opener last Saturday because I wanted to get him with a bow. He was still chasing doe around so I took him. I'm seeing lots of new rub and scrape activity right now.IMG_1543.JPG

Back