Live from the stand 2016!

Eli's deer story...

I picked Eli up after work last night and brought him to our house so we could get an early start. SE wind and upper 30's with a chance of rain moving in. The wind was perfect to hunt "home 10" and the last time it was hunted was in early October when I took Eli there for youth season. We got up at 4:00 am and had cereal then we got all bundled up and took the 30 minute drive to our other house.

When we got there the field was covered in deer so I drove around it to clear it so we could get into the stand without being observed. After that little chore we gathered our gear and walked to the double ladder stand using the light from our pole light to navigate. We climbed aboard and I made sure Eli has a good rest. A little after 7 we had 2 big does and a fawn come in. I told Eli to take the shot on the one on the left when he had her solid in the crosshairs and told him to remember where I told him to aim for center mass. Didn't take him long to fire and I could see blood on the does side when she ran. I knew it was mortal so we stated a while longer to see if I could get one.

About 15 minutes went by and the doe with triplets came in but she is off limits per my rules so we just watched them. They left after about 10 minutes so we got down and verified Eli's kill and then hunted a little while longer and then decided to take care of the doe because light rain had moved in.

Here is Eli with his doe. I know she doesn't look real big in this photo but she dressed out at 98 lbs which is real good for this area...

a1712dbe75040c819f65f4931695cffa.jpg

Pointing out the hit...

e7ce18de6f0ced52623beda421ef51c1.jpg

She only went about 60 yards total. Eli was using his H & R .223 single shot.

He was excited and we completed the paperwork in his tag and took the deer to be processed...

b4a18f5efbfbe058f7adb55e4d35fbb3.jpg

Got him up too early so he napped on the way home...

d41cdeda5fb26a13e64451c59cd22d0a.jpg

If the rain stops later we are going back to find a nice one for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm one proud Mimi!

Heard a shot 10 minutes ago along our east fence and was hopeful someone was taking care of yapper... No such luck...still yapping...

Did you find your deer?
Yep found her about 50 yards from where i shot her laid down behind a log. The entrance wound was right behind the front shoulder but she must havr been quartering more then i thought or the bullet tumbled when it hit cause the exit wound was about 6 inches long and 3 inches wide from the diaphram back. One lung was gone and half of the stomach was laying in the feild.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

At 4:50 I got this feeling and told Eli we are going to see deer within the next 10 minutes...at 4:58 pm the big doe with triplets came in and she brought this single big doe with her. I shot her with my 30/30 and she collapsed right there...Eli was in awe!

We drug her about 75 yards to gut her and several more does came out while we were taking care of that chore :)

Good job Johnny. Ya'll gonna have a lot of venison to eat!
Yessir - these grandsons eat it like it is going out of style. My wife and I used to get 4 bucks a year but the last couple years been tougher. Last year I killed 1 deer but he was a good one. This year I figured we better re-stock the freezer and we I have taken 1 great buck and 2 nice does. Eli's doe is going to his house ;)

I am overdressed! Christmas day afternoon for a relaxing sit. Three grandkids Fri night sat morning. Two more sat even and Christmas morning. I am relaxing in 77 degree weather. Where's the beach!

View attachment 5209
Always thought id like to hunt Christmas. Saw a deer from the house early this Christmas morning. Hope you had a great evening on stand, Lak.

Back