Live from the predator blind...

dogdoc

Forgot to take a pic but out calling yotes this morning. First set up was a big zero. Heading to second set up. Chilly 35 degrees with a perfect NW wind. Heading down now to my pond to try set #2.

Good luck! Sounds like fun...

If you get bored this weekend I am doing a controlled burn of about 5 acres of woods ;)

7139d8899d80535af012711afd0d4588.jpg

Set 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Holy Smokes. Calling 2 minutes look to my left and have a big cat sneak out of the bushes not 5 feet from me. My heart popped out of my throat. I try to get the gun up and it takes off over the pond dam. I sneak over the dam and it's staring at me 30 yards in the bushes. Take a shot and it jumps and takes off. I'll go look in a few.

I think I missed. When that cat was only 5 feet away I think my adrenaline got the best of me. Search for blood where it was standing and all around. Calling another set then I'll go look some more.

A DogDoc calls and what shows up - a Cat. Now that is funny. :rolleyes:

Sorry you missed but I can't help but laugh at your heart rate tripling in about 3 seconds.

Thanks for sharing.

Cats tend to do that. I have killed more than 1 where I have seen them at close range and then they will run to the nearest cover and hold tight long enough for a shot.

Must have been a clean miss. I went right to where I shot and there was nothing. I searched for a good hour in all the thick cover and walked the creek 100 yards each way. I know it went to the creek because I would have seen it any other direction. Walked both sides down in the creek looking for blood and found nothing. I think if I would have hit it then I would have at least seen some fur or blood at impact spot and I marked the spot right after the shot. Darn it! I have been wanting to mount a bobcat forever and it's the first one I have ever called in. Still one of the most exciting/scary moments that have ever happened. I was sitting next to a dead cedar tree on the pond dam. He must have come just on the other side of it because when I saw him he was right next to me. Once he saw me and jumped I don't know who was more scared--me or him!

CRUD!

A DogDoc calls and what shows up - a Cat. Now that is funny. :rolleyes:

Sorry you missed but I can't help but laugh at your heart rate tripling in about 3 seconds.

Thanks for sharing.
kinda funny now but I was scared ****less! I didn't know what to do. The wind was perfect so he never smelled me and was looking away at the call. I was able to get the safety off but when i started inching the gun toward him so close is when he caught the movement. I'm just glad he decided to flee and not attack!

Set 1. 8 acre opening surrounded by hard woods. Nice chilly morn. NE breeze.
f46d688678258bb912af9df2a50038b9.jpg

Set 2. Calling my BB plot. Freshly mowed a week ago.
a6dfec3a23c19ccf73c103c1f8b80821.jpg

Set 3. Calling next to creek. Lots of cat pics in this area
7b0d679d3684300b54ffdda65718a672.jpg

Last set. Main food plot. Haven't called anything in today.
f7fcc7239be5566d0d41bf928f2f18ba.jpg

Bummer...did you take a chainsaw?
No, but I did plant 4 trees today. Two pears, dolgo, and a strawberry bush. Also removed large cage around 2 of my 5 year old pears and replaced with smaller cages just to keep the bucks off of them. So I did get a little habitat work in also.

Must have been a clean miss. I went right to where I shot and there was nothing. I searched for a good hour in all the thick cover and walked the creek 100 yards each way. I know it went to the creek because I would have seen it any other direction. Walked both sides down in the creek looking for blood and found nothing. I think if I would have hit it then I would have at least seen some fur or blood at impact spot and I marked the spot right after the shot. Darn it! I have been wanting to mount a bobcat forever and it's the first one I have ever called in. Still one of the most exciting/scary moments that have ever happened. I was sitting next to a dead cedar tree on the pond dam. He must have come just on the other side of it because when I saw him he was right next to me. Once he saw me and jumped I don't know who was more scared--me or him!

CRUD!
Too bad you weren't toting a scattergun!

Off work today. Back out trying again. Hooking up with neighbor today. We will have 3 quarter sections to hunt this morning. Pics to follow. Hopefully with a dog or two.

Back