Lawn mower opinions?

catscratch

Alright men, I need a new mower. Strongly considering a zero turn. I doubt I will pony up the cash for a Commercial grade but I'm looking at pretty decent brands: Hustler, Grasshopper, Bad Boy, etc. Anyone have anything to say about mowers in general, zero turns, or certain brands? My yard is bumpy and I also tend to use a mower for some plot work also. I would like to be able to steer it with one had so that I don't have to distract my beer hand from what's important.

I've also thought about trying to find a garden tractor or mini tractor of some sort to mow and maybe grade the driveway and various crap like that (instead of the zero turn). I'm a little hesitant because whenever I've tried to find something that's multi use it doesn't do anything well. Kind of like half assing everything.

What says you?

Been happy with a JD x350. I mow an acre or so every week. I thought about the small tractor option for extra chores but the used ones are stupid expensive and the new ones even worse.....

I debated for two years between a Xmark zero turn or a Kubota bx2680 small tractor when we started building are house.Zero turn was 12,000 and the Kubota was 18,000 but it came with 60 in belly mower,front end loader,4ft tiller, and a 4ft bush hog. I ended up getting the Kubota it was the best option for me. I just couldn't see giving that much for a zero turn and parking it in the winter. I used the small tractor this winter for moving snow in driveway. And used the tiller for plots and garden. I mow about 4 acres it takes about 1 1/2-2 hours (depending on how many beers in) to mow.

If you're planning on cutting lawn every week of the growing season then I'd do my best to pony up with one of the zero turn commercial grade units. Make sure you get a nice seat - suspension type. Otherwise it will jar your teeth out on bumpy ground. Bigger tires in back the better. You're gonna have to attach a floating beer can holder cause you'll need both hands on the levers but man...are the zero turns one bad cutting machine. Ours doubles for both farm and son's place so it gets a whole lot of use. It's a Bobcat commercial brand but I didn't plop the cash down for the suspension seat and I now regret it.

I've had a Hustler zero turn for years now. I've put two batteries on it, one pulley, and several sets of blades. It's a great mower.

I have a JD that has 4 wheel steering and it flies. I mow 2 ac in about 40 min. Great around trees and landscaping. I have the mulching add on with the deck. Does almost as good as zero turn wo the speed. Granted my buddy can mow my 2 ac in 1/2 the time w his commercial JD zero turn, and it is a beast. He does it for a living. My prob with zero turn, I can't hook up a trailer or use implements like I can with my mower. And mine handles hills easily with not sliippage like zero turns and even has axle lock if wheels slip for traction. That would be assuming you could find a hill in Kansas. Guess like cars, you could have one of each, but I'll stick with my mower.

I have a Wright commercial 61" zero turn and it is amazingly fast, but if I had to do it all over again I'd get a Grasshopper. Being able to lift the deck for cleaning and blade swaps would save a bunch of aggravation and they do make some interesting accessories that mount on the front. No belts is another plus. Expensive new, but quite a few used ones available.

I have a JD that has 4 wheel steering and it flies. I mow 2 ac in about 40 min. Great around trees and landscaping. I have the mulching add on with the deck. Does almost as good as zero turn wo the speed. Granted my buddy can mow my 2 ac in 1/2 the time w his commercial JD zero turn, and it is a beast. He does it for a living. My prob with zero turn, I can't hook up a trailer or use implements like I can with my mower. And mine handles hills easily with not sliippage like zero turns and even has axle lock if wheels slip for traction. That would be assuming you could find a hill in Kansas. Guess like cars, you could have one of each, but I'll stick with my mower.

What kind of implements can you hook up to that JD? And yes we have hills here (nice dig though)! :)

I have a Wright commercial 61" zero turn and it is amazingly fast, but if I had to do it all over again I'd get a Grasshopper. Being able to lift the deck for cleaning and blade swaps would save a bunch of aggravation and they do make some interesting accessories that mount on the front. No belts is another plus. Expensive new, but quite a few used ones available.
I used a Grasshopper MANY yrs ago when I worked landscaping. It was a great mower. Doubt I can afford a new one but they are fairly common used.

I've had a Hustler zero turn for years now. I've put two batteries on it, one pulley, and several sets of blades. It's a great mower.
Hustlers are everywhere around here. There is a dealer not 20 minutes from me and I see them for sale at a lot of bigger stores. One good thing about that is it would be easy to find parts and a mechanic if needed.

If you don't want to spend major $ Toro is a good one. I had a 16hp 42" cut for 13 years. Got a Husky 23hp RZ. Wish I got another Toro. I wouldn't mow with anything but a zero turn. I don't drink beer, but I will grab an apple and eat it while mowing.

If you don't want to spend major $ Toro is a good one. I had a 16hp 42" cut for 13 years. Got a Husky 23hp RZ. Wish I got another Toro. I wouldn't mow with anything but a zero turn. I don't drink beer, but I will grab an apple and eat it while mowing.
Ha, besides the Grasshopper the other mower brand that we worked with was Toro. Both were great machines but that was 20yrs ago...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hustlers are everywhere around here. There is a dealer not 20 minutes from me and I see them for sale at a lot of bigger stores. One good thing about that is it would be easy to find parts and a mechanic if needed.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Hustler. Mine only has a 48" deck, but that's because I have some trees to get between. Kawasaki engine, 18 hp I think. I just pick the front up with a chain hoist to change blades.

Hustler seems logical out of convenience but I don't want to miss out on something good or better suited because I didn't look.

I've heard good things about the Ferris mowers. Have no idea if I can find one locally though.
I don't think you can go wrong with a Hustler. Mine only has a 48" deck, but that's because I have some trees to get between. Kawasaki engine, 18 hp I think. I just pick the front up with a chain hoist to change blades.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dealer availability is an important thing because some day you will need parts or service .... Ferris used to make a diesel option with a CAT motor .... thing was a beast

Go to a farm equipment auction. They have them several times a year just outside indy and i cant believe the cheap prices zero turns go for. Pretty much every brand is out the door for 1-4 grand, including some that sell for 10 grand plus new.

We got a 60” hustler with the Kawasaki engine this spring. At our other place the mowing used to take about 3 hours with our 48” Husquavarna lawn tractor but now takes just under 2 hours. Time is money for me so getting that hour back is well worth the cost of the mower.

Get the Kawasaki engine...I have friends that do commercial lawn care and they all said it was the better option and would use less fuel than Briggs, or Koehler...

Any zero turn takes two hands to drive. You'll have to grab quick sips on the straight runs when you can hold both handles with one hand.

Back