Kasco Plotters Choice

Yazoo1987

Hello to everyone! Brand new to forum and hope everyone is having a great day! Anyone on here that owns one of these drills? Would like to get feed back on this unit. Thanks

Hello to everyone! Brand new to forum and hope everyone is having a great day! Anyone on here that owns one of these drills? Would like to get feed back on this unit. Thanks
don't own one but wanted to welcome you to the forum!

todd

No I have not done beans or corn but am certain it will do fine. I do prep my ground pretty good before using it though. So i don't know how well it works with poor ground prep.

I just purchased the Kasco Eco-Drill. Very intuitive and well built. I installed a hydraulic top link to make depth adjustments a snap and it drilled in 300 lbs of wheat and rye in no time. Can't wait to give it a serious run next spring.

I have a kasco versa drill and it does ok for the most part,my only issue is covering the seed.Has anyone found a way to improve the cultipacker?Works great in worked ground but that isn't why I bought a min. till drill

Here it is after its first test drive over dry fields not cleared of rocks. I was worried the discs would get mangled... but, other than paint wear and roughened edges it seems they stood up :) I will report back in the spring when it gets a real test...

IMG_2677.jpg

Why did you go with the eco drill as opposed to the plotters choice?

Chad: The Plotters Choice has a single cutting disc as opposed to the Eco-drill which has a cutting disc that makes the cut and a second wheel which spreads that cut into a channel for the seeds to drop into, and the cultipacker then closes that channel burying the seed. Drilling seed into a channel is far superior, it increases germination, doesnt damage soil structure and buries the seeds, protecting them from bird predation. A single disc is very ineffective in digging an actual channel for the seeds, and merely acts as a soil disrupter. Dont get me wrong, the Plotters Choice is similar to a lot of food plot seeders which essentially disc, seed, and cultipack in one pass, saving you multiple runs. The Plotters Choice drops the seeds in an even line but they are not buried and the cultipacker just presses them in, leaving many exposed. The Plotters Choice may be save time over separately discing broadcasting and cultipacking, but it doesn't drill seeds into a channel and then close that channel. While the Kasco Plotters Choice is probably one of the better food plot seeders on the market, it is a seeder and not, a no-till drill. I looked and many no-till drills including heavy duty agricultural models too heavy for my 45 hp tractor, before purchasing my Eco-drill and almost all of them use the disc wheel/cutting blade, then a spreader wheel and finally, a cultipacker/pressing wheel. The results speak for themselves. Check out the pics of mixed rye and wheat plantings i planted late last fall without using herbicides, and way too late in a very dry season. Finally, the true advantage of the no-till over discing is that when you disc you damage soil structure and cause excessive drying out of the soil... not true with a no till. Look at the germination... I was amazed:

Attachments

• 14955833_1184451801610409_804487638901824705_n.jpg
    14955833_1184451801610409_804487638901824705_n.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 994746_1184451804943742_8946660716416580335_n.jpg
    994746_1184451804943742_8946660716416580335_n.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 0
Chad: The Plotters Choice has a single cutting disc as opposed to the Eco-drill which has a cutting disc that makes the cut and a second wheel which spreads that cut into a channel for the seeds to drop into, and the cultipacker then closes that channel burying the seed. Drilling seed into a channel is far superior, it increases germination, doesnt damage soil structure and buries the seeds, protecting them from bird predation. A single disc is very ineffective in digging an actual channel for the seeds, and merely acts as a soil disrupter. Dont get me wrong, the Plotters Choice is similar to a lot of food plot seeders which essentially disc, seed, and cultipack in one pass, saving you multiple runs. The Plotters Choice drops the seeds in an even line but they are not buried and the cultipacker just presses them in, leaving many exposed. The Plotters Choice may be save time over separately discing broadcasting and cultipacking, but it doesn't drill seeds into a channel and then close that channel. While the Kasco Plotters Choice is probably one of the better food plot seeders on the market, it is a seeder and not, a no-till drill. I looked and many no-till drills including heavy duty agricultural models too heavy for my 45 hp tractor, before purchasing my Eco-drill and almost all of them use the disc wheel/cutting blade, then a spreader wheel and finally, a cultipacker/pressing wheel. The results speak for themselves. Check out the pics of mixed rye and wheat plantings i planted late last fall without using herbicides, and way too late in a very dry season. Finally, the true advantage of the no-till over discing is that when you disc you damage soil structure and cause excessive drying out of the soil... not true with a no till. Look at the germination... I was amazed:
Thanks for the pics!

Thanks for the pics!
My pleasure. Here's another. It's from a different plot, same planting day..... End of October upstate NY. Taken from my tree stand. Another visual testament to a no till drill's effectiveness. It used to drive me crazy watching the turkeys cowbirds crows etc. raid my fields following a hard day's planting.

Attachments

• IMG_4833.JPG
    IMG_4833.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 0
My pleasure. Here's another. It's from a different plot, same planting day..... End of October upstate NY. Taken from my tree stand. Another visual testament to a no till drill's effectiveness. It used to drive me crazy watching the turkeys cowbirds crows etc. raid my fields following a hard day's planting.
I love food plot pics. Broadcast seed is a crapshoot, you need almost perfect conditions for it to germinate

I've never toyed with a NT Drill--our place is just too rocky. Accordingly, I can't compare to broadcasting. I have however had excellent luck broadcasting corn, beans, grains, clover and brassicas. I think our heavy dews play a role as does planting in front of a rain, properly preparing soil, covering seed appropriately, and packing afterwards. Just my 0.02.

I've never toyed with a NT Drill--our place is just too rocky. Accordingly, I can't compare to broadcasting. I have however had excellent luck broadcasting corn, beans, grains, clover and brassicas. I think our heavy dews play a role as does planting in front of a rain, properly preparing soil, covering seed appropriately, and packing afterwards. Just my 0.02.
Broadcast is a good option if it's all you have and it sounds like you are good at it. No till is actually a great option if your soil is too rocky to plow, and you have enough dirt to cover the seed. Small grain i only go an inch deep anyway. Or maybe you're talking boulders jutting out of the ground.

I only just got the drill. I managed fine without one for years with a lot of failures and trial and error. What I found worked best for me, was rototilling and then broadcasting seed over freshly rototilled soil followed by cultipacking which was more likely to cover the seeds rather than just compressing them.... hopefully all the day before a rain. My plots were acceptable. But, Germination, dispersal and seed loss certainly don't compare. Most farmers (the big dogs of agriculture) all seem to use drills not broadcasters. I don't know what the price differential is, but if someone is considering a Casco food plot seeder it may be worth the additional price to get the drill.

I only just got the drill. I managed fine without one for years with a lot of failures and trial and error. What I found worked best for me, was rototilling and then broadcasting seed over freshly rototilled soil followed by cultipacking which was more likely to cover the seeds rather than just compressing them.... hopefully all the day before a rain. My plots were acceptable. But, Germination, dispersal and seed loss certainly don't compare. Most farmers (the big dogs of agriculture) all seem to use drills not broadcasters. I don't know what the price differential is, but if someone is considering a Casco food plot seeder it may be worth the additional price to get the drill.
In my experience there's only two kinds of food plot guys; a. Those who have a no-till drill and b. Those who wish they had a no-till drill. It took me twenty years of working overtime to get to b.

How does your cultipacker roller work on untilled ground.I have the versa drill and I have better luck planting before a rain so it closes the furrows,If I put too much down pressure the chain comes off

How does your cultipacker roller work on untilled ground.I have the versa drill and I have better luck planting before a rain so it closes the furrows,If I put too much down pressure the chain comes off

Honestly I've not had a lot of road time on the unit. However, the cultipacker is merely rolling over small furrows so a lot of pressure is not necessary. When I planted, it was late in the season and the earth was dry. I had no problems.

Back