J-birds place

So it has been a while since I have posted... and I tend to not post many things like this as well... but this is worth sharing.

This post isn't about habitat or deer...but something far more important to me. One of my kids. I have often shared posts (particularly in November - as that is CRPS awareness month) about one of my kids who has a condition that many are unaware of and it has been quite the journey for her and us as a family. The Hospital that helped her has issued a story about her journey. Scroll down the page and read "Jenna Rose Weisenbach". If you have kids that seem to never recover from some sort of injury and continue to have un-explained pain....PLEASE let me know. I am not a doctor, but I can point you to ones that may help diagnose the condition that Jenna has. Diagnosis was a real challenge at first because the condition is pretty rare...next came the proper treatment. There is no "cure" for this condition...only a means to make it better. If you know of anyone who could be helped that may have this condition or the like...PLEASE let me know. Jenna has taken a position of support and advocacy on the topic...especially for kids.

https://www.rileychildrens.org/?gcl...Cs6AgXcn5nAvghrKrGl0bf05inG3XzvxoCMVAQAvD_BwE
Thanks for sharing these resources, illnesses that aren't common can be difficult to diagnose and deal with, and if articles like this help one person it was well worth sharing. Hopefully your daughter will continue to be able to stay on top of her illness. I'm always thankful for the amazing medical resources that we have in the USA.

I took a walk today...and the cicadas have struck!

My apples/crabs look only slightly damaged. My oaks and chestnuts however....especially the younger ones. Well they look like hell...the smaller ones I don't think will survive. These below are damaged, but I HOPE they will pull thru.

My sawtooths...
cicada sawtooth.jpg

My chestnuts...
best chestnut.jpg

So it has been a while since I have posted... and I tend to not post many things like this as well... but this is worth sharing.

This post isn't about habitat or deer...but something far more important to me. One of my kids. I have often shared posts (particularly in November - as that is CRPS awareness month) about one of my kids who has a condition that many are unaware of and it has been quite the journey for her and us as a family. The Hospital that helped her has issued a story about her journey. Scroll down the page and read "Jenna Rose Weisenbach". If you have kids that seem to never recover from some sort of injury and continue to have un-explained pain....PLEASE let me know. I am not a doctor, but I can point you to ones that may help diagnose the condition that Jenna has. Diagnosis was a real challenge at first because the condition is pretty rare...next came the proper treatment. There is no "cure" for this condition...only a means to make it better. If you know of anyone who could be helped that may have this condition or the like...PLEASE let me know. Jenna has taken a position of support and advocacy on the topic...especially for kids.

https://www.rileychildrens.org/?gcl...Cs6AgXcn5nAvghrKrGl0bf05inG3XzvxoCMVAQAvD_BwE
Prayers for your daughter...

Odd you posted this J-Bird as I had noticed no usual posting by you on the different sites in recent weeks and wondered if there were any issues. I think your post is very important and has a place here as we all have issues that intervene with the habitat/hunting utopia we sometimes get spoiled to. Hope you, your family, and especially your daughter do well. And congrats to her for willing to be so helpful to others. Thanks

Odd you posted this J-Bird as I had noticed no usual posting by you on the different sites in recent weeks and wondered if there were any issues. I think your post is very important and has a place here as we all have issues that intervene with the habitat/hunting utopia we sometimes get spoiled to. Hope you, your family, and especially your daughter do well. And congrats to her for willing to be so helpful to others. Thanks
I have been busy mostly with work and getting other things done around the house and with the family. The health concern with my daughter has been a long fought battle (years) and the article is simply a summary of her condition and how far she has come. We have actually been very pleased with her progress and she is off to Atlanta for college in the fall so we recently had a campus visit and everything. I tend to be pretty active on the forums, but sometimes things get busy. That sprint to summer transition tends to be busy here. Things need to get ready for summer, outside chores increase, the kids and their sports and now we are doing college visits and the like....

Btw, your trees will be fine. Cicadas will set them back a year or so, but usually won’t kill a tree unless it’s very young. They only kill the tips of branches under a 1/4 inch diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

SCAD - Savanah College of Art and Design (Atlanta campus)...for now...I say that because I suspect she will spend some time in Savanah campus as well.
Not saying anything you don’t know but just tell her please be careful. I’m very familiar with the area. It’s rough there currently.

Not saying anything you don’t know but just tell her please be careful. I’m very familiar with the area. It’s rough there currently.

Agree. That's why I asked.

Head on a swivel and I wouldn't walk anywhere alone. Don't want to scare you, but she just needs to be prepared and aware of what/who is around her. There is a lot of fun to be had around there and should be a great experience.

I read Jenna's story with great interest and empathy. I had a volleyball injury years ago that causes me inordinate amounts of pain to this day, and I don't tolerate gabapentin. It makes life...interesting. Nothing to the extent that Jenna has experienced, but enough that I commiserate. Anyway, I'm a Prof of Medicine doing biomedical research at URMC, and I keep current on the literature because of my issue. While I'm sure that your family keeps up-to-date on emerging therapies, I will be sure to give you a heads-up if I run into anything promising in the future as well. As you know, I've been a big fan of your thread for years, and I'm glad that you chose to share this story.

I read Jenna's story with great interest and empathy. I had a volleyball injury years ago that causes me inordinate amounts of pain to this day, and I don't tolerate gabapentin. It makes life...interesting. Nothing to the extent that Jenna has experienced, but enough that I commiserate. Anyway, I'm a Prof of Medicine doing biomedical research at URMC, and I keep current on the literature because of my issue. While I'm sure that your family keeps up-to-date on emerging therapies, I will be sure to give you a heads-up if I run into anything promising in the future as well. As you know, I've been a big fan of your thread for years, and I'm glad that you chose to share this story.
Please do...and if you run into anyone that feels like they would relate better to someone in their late teens...Jenna is all about that. She is more plugged in than I am and she has different sites where she shares what she has been thru and what has worked and hasn't for her. We really support her in sharing her story. Jenna went as far as writing a book (more about helping her deal with it and seeing how it affected others as well) but has not gotten around to it being edited or published. I suspect she will put more energy into it again once she gets in school and will be around creative people that can hopefully help her with that process as well.

Agree. That's why I asked.

Head on a swivel and I wouldn't walk anywhere alone. Don't want to scare you, but she just needs to be prepared and aware of what/who is around her. There is a lot of fun to be had around there and should be a great experience.
The actual area where campus is seems like a real nice area. The fact that campus is also very condensed I like as well. But I understand...Atlanta is more than just "big city"....it's BIG big city.

My sawtooths have responded well after I removed the dead ends. The weaker of my 2 chestnuts is DEAD! Chinkapin oaks are showing acorns and paw-paw are showing as well.

I did pull these from the trail cam. The clean 8 pointer seems to be the boss....

So I have lost at least my second Dunstan Chestnut tree to root rot. I bought them as 3 gallon trees and they where roughly 5 feet tall. They grow to 8,10, 12 feet...one even started to produce nuts. Then they have a bad year and then boom dead as a hammer the next. So I had one that died and I was talking to some folks and I am trying to figure out what is possibly wrong.

So yesterday I pulled the dead tree. (I did cut back as far as I could with looper looking for signs of life before I pulled the tree with no luck).

One of the things I keep seeing is this lichen type stuff that grows on the chestnut trees that die. I don't know if it is connected or not...but I don't have this on other healthy trees in the same plot not 10 yards away. And it has been present on the last to dead chestnut trees...so I am building a pretty strong case that it is connected. I am also aware the vine is poison ivy...
chestnut lichen.jpg

Once I pulled the tree....which I was able to do with my FEL on my tractor with no digging or cutting....the root rot was obvious. The white on the bark at the soil line, that actual rot, and the last two trees that died seems to have this "club" mass that I show instead of real nice root formation....I am assuming this may be due to it being a containerized plant. IN either case...it doesn't look good.
chestnut root rot.jpg

The other 2 pictures are of the hole I dug out and the soil from the hole. I have taken pictures of odd stuff before, but not a hole and ...dirt! Anyway I was told that root rot comes from too much moisture in the soil. Ummm...well....I dug down a good foot to 18 inches and there is no sign of red or grey clay, no sign of a high water table. You can see by both the hole and the dirt I have a coarse loam soil that tends to drain pretty well. So I am puzzled how I get root rot without excessive amounts of water. It's not in a flood plain, the area is flat and doesn't even puddle water. I am so confused!!!

For another topic... I was told saturday that I need a bigger tractor... My son had decided he was going to mow for me since I was having back issues. No he didn't roll it or get it stuck or even break it in any way. He "ran our of places to put his empty beer cans"!!! So, I am not sure if those shows a lack of experience on his part or experience on my part.
tractor beer.jpg

#1 - I like the ingenuity to attach the cooler.
#2 - you don't put the empties on the "floor board" - you have an FEL (and I do) OR you can put the empties back in the cooler!! He was smart enough to not just toss them aside or run them over (he knew I would kick his behind for that)
#3 - if your going to drink beer - drink something decent...he likes that rocky mountain goat p1$$, which is bad enough...but he has also been drinking some apple flavored Busch light crap as well... Closest thing I want to fruit in my beer is a lime in my Corona.
#4 - I guess I should say something about drinking and operating equipment...I don't do it...NEVER have (seriously). But he did me a solid and he didn't break anything OR mow off half the bean field and he is 25...so he is free to make his own dumb choices I guess. I wasn't home at the time either so there really wasn't much I could do to stop him.

So I have lost at least my second Dunstan Chestnut tree to root rot. I bought them as 3 gallon trees and they where roughly 5 feet tall. They grow to 8,10, 12 feet...one even started to produce nuts. Then they have a bad year and then boom dead as a hammer the next. So I had one that died and I was talking to some folks and I am trying to figure out what is possibly wrong.

So yesterday I pulled the dead tree. (I did cut back as far as I could with looper looking for signs of life before I pulled the tree with no luck).

One of the things I keep seeing is this lichen type stuff that grows on the chestnut trees that die. I don't know if it is connected or not...but I don't have this on other healthy trees in the same plot not 10 yards away. And it has been present on the last to dead chestnut trees...so I am building a pretty strong case that it is connected. I am also aware the vine is poison ivy...
View attachment 22338

Once I pulled the tree....which I was able to do with my FEL on my tractor with no digging or cutting....the root rot was obvious. The white on the bark at the soil line, that actual rot, and the last two trees that died seems to have this "club" mass that I show instead of real nice root formation....I am assuming this may be due to it being a containerized plant. IN either case...it doesn't look good.
View attachment 22340

The other 2 pictures are of the hole I dug out and the soil from the hole. I have taken pictures of odd stuff before, but not a hole and ...dirt! Anyway I was told that root rot comes from too much moisture in the soil. Ummm...well....I dug down a good foot to 18 inches and there is no sign of red or grey clay, no sign of a high water table. You can see by both the hole and the dirt I have a coarse loam soil that tends to drain pretty well. So I am puzzled how I get root rot without excessive amounts of water. It's not in a flood plain, the area is flat and doesn't even puddle water. I am so confused!!!

For another topic... I was told saturday that I need a bigger tractor... My son had decided he was going to mow for me since I was having back issues. No he didn't roll it or get it stuck or even break it in any way. He "ran our of places to put his empty beer cans"!!! So, I am not sure if those shows a lack of experience on his part or experience on my part.
View attachment 22339

#1 - I like the ingenuity to attach the cooler.
#2 - you don't put the empties on the "floor board" - you have an FEL (and I do) OR you can put the empties back in the cooler!! He was smart enough to not just toss them aside or run them over (he knew I would kick his behind for that)
#3 - if your going to drink beer - drink something decent...he likes that rocky mountain goat p1$$, which is bad enough...but he has also been drinking some apple flavored Busch light crap as well... Closest thing I want to fruit in my beer is a lime in my Corona.
#4 - I guess I should say something about drinking and operating equipment...I don't do it...NEVER have (seriously). But he did me a solid and he didn't break anything OR mow off half the bean field and he is 25...so he is free to make his own dumb choices I guess. I wasn't home at the time either so there really wasn't much I could do to stop him.
Got a chuckle out of your son and the beer cans! I wasn’t much different when I was 25!

Got a chuckle out of your son and the beer cans! I wasn’t much different when I was 25!
He and I where/are are at very different stages in life at age 25. He is done with school, single, lives at home. I was done with school, out of the house, married with 2 or 3 kids at that age. If I had known his way was an option....

He and I where/are are at very different stages in life at age 25. He is done with school, single, lives at home. I was done with school, out of the house, married with 2 or 3 kids at that age. If I had known his way was an option....

We all have a path we take in life! I was done with school, about to get married, no kids, out of house and about to open a business. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Back