Is it too early to plant food plots?

Mennoniteman

No-tilled several acres of oats clover and chicory into last years corn stubble today. It was dry enough that the dirt didn't stick to the planter, and it started raining just as I finished. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.]WP_20170330_13_31_25_Pro (2).jpg

Let us know how the chicory component turns out. I no tilled some with my LC mix last fall but I'm afraid it's been taken over by the rye, oats, and 1.5' tall clover.

Let us know how the chicory component turns out. I no tilled some with my LC mix last fall but I'm afraid it's been taken over by the rye, oats, and 1.5' tall clover.
40lb oats, 3.5 lb ladino, 2.5 lb red clover, 1.5 lb chicory per acre. I might be a little light on the chicory?

Wow it seems early for folks to be out planting already this spring. I haven't even started spraying yet. Maybe I am just a slow starter. I noticed farmers have been getting a little ahead of the game shooting anhydrous and working some ground. I think the couple inches of rain we just got will bring everyone back to reality around here. We don't even have any morels popping around here yet so the ground temps haven't reached 50 degrees.

Wow it seems early for folks to be out planting already this spring. I haven't even started spraying yet. Maybe I am just a slow starter. I noticed farmers have been getting a little ahead of the game shooting anhydrous and working some ground. I think the couple inches of rain we just got will bring everyone back to reality around here. We don't even have any morels popping around here yet so the ground temps haven't reached 50 degrees.
My cousin found a dozen morels in central Missouri last weekend. I won't think of corn and beans for another three weeks. Small grains peas and clover usually do better with early planting. There's a huge difference in fields. It's never good to plant in mud.

My rye is over 2 foot tall. My grass in my yard hasn't greened up yet. I'm waiting on it to green before I spray my garden area and till it. I have not decided if I will do something with the rye like spray and plant buckwheat or not because it does have some weed in it. I do seriously need to get some lime down.

My rye is over 2 foot tall. My grass in my yard hasn't greened up yet. I'm waiting on it to green before I spray my garden area and till it. I have not decided if I will do something with the rye like spray and plant buckwheat or not because it does have some weed in it. I do seriously need to get some lime down.
I am surprised that your rye has a weed issue, rye has a component that suppresses weed growth. Organic farmers plant rye for weed control. Did your seed have weeds in it?

I am surprised that your rye has a weed issue, rye has a component that suppresses weed growth. Organic farmers plant rye for weed control. Did your seed have weeds in it?

There is little weed in the rye area except where I planted a little too thin. My garden area is where. I need to spray my garden area which is adjacent to the rye. Btw my rye is over 4ft in certain areas behind the house. There is a little clover mixed in but not much. I am thinking about cutting the rye down to 12-18". I just have not made my mind up yet. I really had not paid much attention to how high the rye was until today when I rode past two small sawtooth I planted last year. I did not tube them initially. I did that this past winter. Anyhow when I rode by I noticed I had rye coming out of the tubes so I pulled everything in and around the tubes to help the sawtooth's. I did get a new salt lick made today. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so hopefully the rain will mix the salt minerals and dirt I turned over today. I have a camera on it. We shall see what happens.

No-till 4 acres of oats clover and chicory is up nicely a week and a half after planting. You can't see the clover and chicory but it's up. This part of the field actually had been tilled.WP_20170414_06_59_29_Pro.jpg

All depends on where you live. I planted 2 acres of Eagle beans last wendesday. Soil temps are in the mid 60's.
Your plantings are coming up great.

All depends on where you live. I planted 2 acres of Eagle beans last wendesday. Soil temps are in the mid 60's.
Your plantings are coming up great.
I planted 1\2 acre of ag beans Saturday. It's at least two weeks too early but I like to experiment. How do you know when the optimum planting time is for your particular field if you don't do several strips side by side to compare?

I planted 1\2 acre of ag beans Saturday. It's at least two weeks too early but I like to experiment. How do you know when the optimum planting time is for your particular field if you don't do several strips side by side to compare?
I keep an eye out on the 3 day average soil on our state mesonete. Once it is consistently in the mid 60's I just wait for right soil moisture to till and several days of chances of rain.

Back