Alternative to Corn Field Plots

we have done beans in the past and they get into them so fast they never make it to full growth.
5 acres of beans and the deer wipe the out? That's a lot of deer! Just checking how you did your beans when they failed, you definitely will want to plant forage soybeans for deer, ag beans can't tolerate grazing nearly as good, and when planting forage soybeans for deer a very high seed count is needed to stay ahead of the deer when they first emerge, 30" rows are spaced way too far, allowing deer to much chance to wipe them out.
I plant 2 bags per acre or heavier of Titan forage beans on 4 acres on 7.5" rows, whereas farmers will generally plant 1 bag per acre of ag beans on 30" rows.
These forage soybeans will still grow pods to feed deer in the winter, generally more pods, but smaller size beans, but our deer never complained.
IMO for someone who has at least 3-4 acres, soybeans are still a top three choice for a food plot, corn and clover being the other two. Grain and Brassica come in at number four, good stuff, but the window of usage is too narrow.

Last edited:
Follow these instructions very carefully.... Step by step!!
Go to your local Ace hardware and get their store brand bird food. It's $18 a 40# bag. If you want a little more cover throw in some Sorgum Sudan. If you want more food throw in some WGF Milo or black oil sunflowers they are right next to the Birdfood. If you want to get really wild!!! go to the grocery store and buy a bag of the cheapest yellow popcorn you can find. Should be about $2/bag. Resist the urge to buy the more expensive Orville redenbacker. It only looks cooler because it's in a plastic jar. Throw that in the mix about 2# to the acre... If you got some leftover seed from last year. Toss a little of that in.
Broadcast this mix about 15# an acre... just before a rain. Now take the money you saved and go get you a few cases of cold drinks. Enough to get you thru until about August. Sometime in late July... Go get some bin run wheat or triciale and shoot it on with a extremely spreader blower about 100# to the acre. Right into the standing Birdfood. You can do this one handed and never set down your cold drink!! Go get another cold drink until deer season starts.
After you shoot your first deer of the year. Be sure to come back and thank me for the easiest/cheapest year ever!

Follow these instructions very carefully.... Step by step!!
Go to your local Ace hardware and get their store brand bird food. It's $18 a 40# bag. If you want a little more cover throw in some Sorgum Sudan. If you want more food throw in some WGF Milo or black oil sunflowers they are right next to the Birdfood. If you want to get really wild!!! go to the grocery store and buy a bag of the cheapest yellow popcorn you can find. Should be about $2/bag. Resist the urge to buy the more expensive Orville redenbacker. It only looks cooler because it's in a plastic jar. Throw that in the mix about 2# to the acre... If you got some leftover seed from last year. Toss a little of that in.
Broadcast this mix about 15# an acre... just before a rain. Now take the money you saved and go get you a few cases of cold drinks. Enough to get you thru until about August. Sometime in late July... Go get some bin run wheat or triciale and shoot it on with a extremely spreader blower about 100# to the acre. Right into the standing Birdfood. You can do this one handed and never set down your cold drink!! Go get another cold drink until deer season starts.
After you shoot your first deer of the year. Be sure to come back and thank me for the easiest/cheapest year ever!

You happen to have a pic of the success of this plot you speak of?

Yes not sure how to post a pic here. I tried to "upload" one off my phone but to no avail. If you'd like to email me bowhunt160bucks@gmail. I'd be happy to send you some.

What’s the deal with the popcorn? I’m a big fan of crazy, and I’ve never heard of popcorn going into a plot.

And I paid money for ragweed seed last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The popcorn is what got my interest as well.
Jason Snavely sells/sold some regenerative seed mixes that include popcorn. He was working with Green Cover before Grant Woods. I forget his site/company name. He mentions it in some of his podcasts from a year or so ago.

I tried that several times and it wouldn't load it. Deer patch is posting them for me. Thank you!
I put a bag of popcorn in all my mixes. If it doesn't grow your out $2. I started doing it because I have alot of pheasants and they use the smaller popcorn seed better then field corn.
You can germ test the popcorn yourself. Put 20 kernels in a ziplock back with a wet paper towel. Set them in a sunny window for about 2 weeks. I bet you'll see 70-80% germ...maybe more.
I was asked to go on a habitat podcast and talk about my birdseed. Hope you enjoy!!

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...GMtMGMyMS00ZDdmLTgzNzUtY2ZiNGQyMGU3ZTgw?ep=14

4b1e6ff57bacf5e94b731c63f4b3f700.jpg

I'm interested in an alternative to corn, and the popcorn is an interesting twist, the wheat also adds a great component. My greatest curiosity is how this performs in midwinter in snow country? That's most of the point of field corn for deer.

I understand your concerns. The way I see it is.. I am slinging it over a couple acre food plot which manage for noxious weeds and invasives.
Granny has a flock of black birds suck her birdfeeder dry of the same exact mix and they broadcast it from Minnesota to Mexico.
As far as how it stands up. I am in western Nebraska, which is right next door to the tundra. I had to bush hog my plot down about a month ago.

From BH160. Here is a germ test on "Always save" brand yellow popcorn.This has been tight at 2 weeks at fairly low temp in the window. Several others are about to sprout so looking like about 75-80%. I did coat these seeds with Delta Ag seed coat that does help them to germinate faster.

3ce0b656bb7be2b0058a70773629efd9.jpg

I understand your concerns. The way I see it is.. I am slinging it over a couple acre food plot which manage for noxious weeds and invasives.
Granny has a flock of black birds suck her birdfeeder dry of the same exact mix and they broadcast it from Minnesota to Mexico.
As far as how it stands up. I am in western Nebraska, which is right next door to the tundra. I had to bush hog my plot down about a month ago.
The green cover guys are farting around with popcorn now. I think this link will take you right to the popcorn portion of the video.

Back