Invitation to Hunt/Fish and Dive in New Zealand

onamission

Hi Fellow Fishos, Spearos and hunters.

I have a unique situation where I am finishing up my corporate job this year and going to be hunting, fishing and diving my way around New Zealand for 3-4 months.
This is my backyard and have extensively hunted, fished and speared a large majority of NZ over the last 10 years. To see what I get up to on the weekends etc check out (Instagram)
I have a 4WD vehicle and boat that allows me to go to the most remote areas and islands around NZ. I also have all the gear including spare gear for people to join me.

Over this period I am happy for people to come over and I can take them out to target whatever they desire. What I ask for in return is that later this year or next year that when I am travelling I can do the same in your home town or country. Individuals and up to 3 people is manageable any more would need to discuss. I will list the species and animals that I target and the best month/time frame.

Deer (March to May)
If you are a trophy hunter or meet hunter this is the one of best times to hunt the 7 species of deer we have in NZ. Most species of stags are in Hard antler at this stage including Red deer, Wapiti, Fallow, Whitetail, Sika and Rusa. It is also the roar or rut for most of our deer species over this period. 3 day trips are great but a week is even better to get into remote areas and target some big animals.

Chamois (Any time)
Early winter is an nice time to hunt Chamy.

Tahr (May-June)
Tahr can be hunted any time of year but the best Alpine hunting is May-June when the bulls are in the Rutt. It makes spotting the mature Bulls easier as the mob up with the nannies.

Rodents
Rabbits, Hair, Possums, Wallaby. These can be hunted any time of year and very accessible.

Pigs
Any time of year.

Game Birds (May-July)
Our Game bird season is different lengths for different species. Mallards (green heads) and other variety of ducks is the month of May. Turkeys, Pheasant, Quail, Geese, Swan and Turkeys have a longer season.
We use many different styles to hunt the different birds and very lucky to have good numbers of all.

Game Fish
March –Late April.
Certain areas of the country fish better at different times but depending on the weather patterns ultimately determines how long the game fish stay
Albacore Tune, Yellow Fin Tuna, Big Eye Tuna, Marlin (stripped, black, Blue, Short Bill), Mako, Bronze Whaler, Blue Shark, Swordfish/Broadbill, Mahi Mah.

Common fish that can be speared or fished all year around but with better weather being Late February and April are
Yellowtail/Kingfish (One of the best fighting fish and gett up to 50kg most commonly 10-25kg)
Snapper (The best tasting and fish to hunt up to 16kg but most commonly 1kg-7kg)
There is a massive list of other fish that you can look up and I target all of them.

Seafood
Crayfish/ Rock lobster
Paua/Abalone
Shellfish of a huge variety.

Obviously a certain capability is required to hunt and gather a lot of what I mention above and a more competent, fit and enthusiastic outdoorsman would benefit from this opportunity.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Nick

I think this is where that term "too good to be true" applies

Yea tell me about it, there are no guarantees on the animals and fish but very high chance on all if the timing is right (but that is hunting/fishing). There is less hoops to jump through here in NZ when it comes to hunting game and going fishing. I plan on doing a lot of travel over the coming years and find that meeting people and taking like minded people on trips can open up some doors for later on.

Are you on the NZ Huntnfish forum? I lived in NZ for 5+ years and hunt there almost every year. I'm heading back there on March 31 for 3 weeks

Yea sure am. Same username. Have you got anything lined up yet? I won several ballots for the Fiordland, Wanaka and Haast area for the Roar but will also be hunting in open areas as well. A couple of the trips will be Heli or jet boat in and the rest will be on two legs so a fitness is defiantly and advantage on the big hills as I'm sure you are aware of.

I'll be in South Westland first then up in the Ruahines for part 2.

Well let me know if any of your plans fall through, or if you're passing through and I'm not in the bush we could grab a beer. I will be based in and around Haast and Wanaka (and possibly Fiordland) for most of April

Got any flooded timber to hunt them greenheads in?

We don't have too much of that here but have some great other shooting. MaiMai, lay down blinds and jumping ponds are the most productive methods here, and there is some great hunting. We also do river stalking on Canadian canoe which is great fun and often end up with a mixd bag of mallards, roosters, geese and swan by the end of it.

Good for you Nick. If this is legit you will reap rewards for a lifetime.

Yea its a big commitment for someone to come over but (hopefully I sound legit ha). I thought it would be pretty cool to take others through what we have to offer and the benefits for me is I get to meet some great other hunters and learn their ways and style of hunting in return.

We don't have too much of that here but have some great other shooting. MaiMai, lay down blinds and jumping ponds are the most productive methods here, and there is some great hunting. We also do river stalking on Canadian canoe which is great fun and often end up with a mixd bag of mallards, roosters, geese and swan by the end of it.
Jumping ponds and float shooting are fun ways to hunt waterfowl. Not the same experience as setting up and calling them in but fun and productive. A red sag hunt would be awesome like others have mentioned but until they get a bridge built so I can drive my truck there I am out. Not flying out of this country again and my not fly in it either.

Back