Insect problem in brassicas

Brinktown

I have planted a brassica mix the past few years as part of the LC rotation. Have had great results. This year the brassicas were off to a great start and then large spots seemed to melt away to nothing. I finally took a closer look and think an insect is defoliating the plants and causing them to die. Poked around on the internet and it seems to be flea beetle. Looks like I can use malathion like I have before in alfalfa. Has anyone else had experience with this bug in brassicas? Any suggestions or advice? I wonder if this will be a problem every year now or random years. Thanks

ce8475eebea1dfe4bbe38f210ac2ef4a.jpg

6566cade292fcdbf79dd7798201318ed.jpg

f0345875468bf841ecf6fa06bc787d92.jpg

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/flea-beetles/

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

One of the very few negatives about early brassica planting is insect damage. I always have a little damage that I can live with. My biggest problem comes in years with high grasshopper numbers. They will eat a brassica to the ground. I just live with the damage as I don't really want to spray insecticides. However, if you do want to control the insects a spraying of liquid sevin will take care of your problem. Only other option that I know of is to wait for your first frost.

I've noticed holes in my brassica leaves pretty much every time I've planted them. Never seemes to hurt anything. I never spray for weeds either as brassicas seem to outgrow nearly anything else.
e0e3c390-087e-477f-93f1-e0a1d8eeb7f5.jpg

Thanks. I wish I had taken a better photo of the overall plot to show the large bare areas. I think half of the plot is gone. Don't have time to spray this year and frost is soon hopefully. Will keep the sevin in mind for next year. Happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back