Indian Marker Trees

No chance. Just making the point that there are some ancient trees out there. We have a couple on our property I would say are a lot closer to 500 years old then they are 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Doing some simple math, any useful marker trees left would be over 150 years old. Anyone have an idea as to how many 150 year old trees are left in the U.S. ?

Not a marker tree, but a old Red Oak. This is the biggest on this 50 acre tract. There are several more, just not as large, but big none the less. That is a Winchester 1300 with a 26" barrel. There are limbs the diameter of some of the "bigger" trees in the area. I was going to put a lock-on tree stand in it because the deer use the corner of the field it is in regularly. I took a small drill bit to start a pilot hole for pegs and drilled a 4-5" hole and it was all bark. I just let it be.

e83b0dc8f86175b86ce9d9ecf060611f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love them big ol trees like that. And just think that's a youngster compared to some that were here when white man first arrived.

Not a marker tree, but a old Red Oak. This is the biggest on this 50 acre tract. There are several more, just not as large, but big none the less. That is a Winchester 1300 with a 26" barrel. There are limbs the diameter of some of the "bigger" trees in the area. I was going to put a lock-on tree stand in it because the deer use the corner of the field it is in regularly. I took a small drill bit to start a pilot hole for pegs and drilled a 4-5" hole and it was all bark. I just let it be.

e83b0dc8f86175b86ce9d9ecf060611f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very impressive tree!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Love old trees - would like to see a whole thread where people posted the oldest and biggest they know.

On ours we have 5 or 6 elms that are simply towering - The fact that we rarely see huge elms anymore makes them real special - like 6 feet at the base or something silly like that.

I’ve got a tree that fits the description of the OP at a remote section of my property. Always intrigued me. I’ll have to take a picture next time I’m in the area and post it. I would be interested in opinions from those more knowledgeable than I.

Back