I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at all of your properties. I thought

Just catching this thread. Great stuff you have and are doing on your place. Envious of farmhouse.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0454.JPG IMG_0455.JPG IMG_0376.JPG Here are a few pictures to update you guys on our farmhouse build. I will say that I will never build another house again as long as I live. We have a good GC overseeing the project but man is it hard to stay on budget (we will end up about 12% over budget at the end by my calculations). Windows & doors are a killer to a home project. You either have to go cheap or expensive and there is not an in between. I also included a few pics of our last deer hunt of the season yesterday afternoon with my oldest son. We ended up seeing 17 deer. 2 small bucks and I completely missed one of the does as my last shot of the 2017 hunting season. I also included a nice group of gobblers hanging out on the farm as well so I can look forward to turkey season. Its exciting that we are nearing the end of the build and we will be able to enjoy the farm even more but I also get to look forward to the monthly payment each month that will be coming with it.

View attachment 10902 View attachment 10908 View attachment 10909 View attachment 10910 View attachment 10911 View attachment 10901 Here are a few pictures to update you guys on our farmhouse build. I will say that I will never build another house again as long as I live. We have a good GC overseeing the project but man is it hard to stay on budget (we will end up about 12% over budget at the end by my calculations). Windows & doors are a killer to a home project. You either have to go cheap or expensive and there is not an in between. I also included a few pics of our last deer hunt of the season yesterday afternoon with my oldest son. We ended up seeing 17 deer. 2 small bucks and I completely missed one of the does as my last shot of the 2017 hunting season. I also included a nice group of gobblers hanging out on the farm as well so I can look forward to turkey season. Its exciting that we are nearing the end of the build and we will be able to enjoy the farm even more but I also get to look forward to the monthly payment each month that will be coming with it.

boy thats a nice looking house though!

That's gonna be like driving down Magnolia Lane to your farm house when finished. Thx for sharing! Looking forward to pics from move-in.

Randy,
Great pictures and a nice looking piece of land. Do you do much shed hunting in the spring on it?

Randy,
Great pictures and a nice looking piece of land. Do you do much shed hunting in the spring on it?
Not really...I do glance around while turkey hunting but that's about it. Thanks for the nice comments. My wife designed and called the shots of course. I picked out the exterior doors and the hardwood flooring. That's about it.

A little over budget, but it looks awesome and the quality windows will pay for themselves in the long run.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Nice spread. We have never built a house before...been in our current house for 18 years and bought it used. But, we have bought 20 acres in the country and are starting to plan our retirement home (forever, gonna die here home). Not looking forward to the building process as I know of nobody that has ever said it was fun...always over budget and rarely satisfied with the quality.

BTW, I hear you on windows...we had our fireplace removed and had a 5x5 bay window put in to see the dock. It's 2 years old last month, and we had to have that piece replaced for fogging. I asked for Anderson windows, but my contractor just put in what he wanted, I guess.

Lots of enjoyment coming for you and family. Looks great. Wife did a great job! Good luck with the turkey hunting

Great looking place you have there...best decision my wife and I ever made while married is deciding to live on our property after we purchased it. Lots of work and money to make that happen since it had never had a homesite on it and was entirely and completely wooded!

You will enjoy it immensely!

Well we are getting closer to the end. The contractors have finished the tile, plumbing, lighting, and AC. The only thing left are a few touchups here and there. Now I have to figure out a way to pay for it. If any of you ever think about building...here are the items that run up the cost of a home:.

1) Windows...I think I have already mentioned it. You can go with cheaper vinyl windows like a YKK and really mold out around them to make them look better or you will be paying 2.5 times the cost with an Anderson...there is really no middle ground. We went with Anderson downstairs and the upstairs bedroom windows were YKK. This is a forever home so we decided to upgrade on some of the windows.
2) Porches....If you want to build a home with a ton of porch...Add around 35-50 a sq ft for the area (for rural Georgia...it could be more or less around metro areas). If you go with wood in the ceiling on the porch it will likely be on the higher end. We went with Metal in the ceiling on the porch and I think it turned out great.
3) Lighting and plumbing fixtures. Our builder gave us a budget of 3,000 on lighting fixtures (the antler chandelier ate up 70% of the budget) and 3,000 on plumbing fixtures. Needless to say that didn't work out very well. He estimated 20 can lights on initial report. We probably have & needed 35-40.
4) Cabinets would have been over budget as well but we went with very few upper cabinets. This kept us close or a little below budget.
5) The tile quotations we were getting were all over the place. There was a good bit of variation between the 3 prices we were given.
6) Hiring a builder vs subbing. We chose to hire a GC simply because the home is 90 miles from where we live, he came highly recommended, he did great finish work, and he had connections with subs who he could oversee and make sure the job was done to our liking. I feel like I could have probably saved 10 percent if I would have subbed out everything myself but it was probably worth having him there.

We ended up about 20% over the initial estimated price but it was mostly due to the windows, custom items like the hand railing on the stairs, and the electric/plumbing fixtures.

All in all we/my wife is happy. She basically picked out everything excluding the exterior doors and flooring. The flooring is pretty dirty in the pictures below but once we get everything cleaned up in and out I will send a few finished pictures. The building process is definitely stressful but this is a house I hope that will stay in our family forever.

IMG_0680.JPG IMG_0681.JPG IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0683.JPG IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG

it. IMG_0677.JPG IMG_0678.JPG

A few pics from the farm on fathers day weekend...I had a great fathers day to say the least. I spent Saturday mowing the orchard with my two boys riding along. We also got a tree swing setup for them to use.

That evening we went to check a food plot and found two sheds laying in the middle of it as well. We also saw a mommy doe with two fawns following closely behind....although it was a hot Georgia day I enjoyed every minute with the kids.

IMG_0998.jpg IMG_1004.jpg IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1014.jpg IMG_0974.jpg IMG_0975.jpg

Back