I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at all of your properties. I thought

Randy

Updated 2019 Hunting Season at the farm...

I would share the beginning stages of a little slice of heaven that my wife and I are working on. A little history on the land. The land was part of an original land grant from my wife's great great great great grandfather who fought in the revolutionary war for the State of Georgia. At that time I am sure there were several thousands of acres attached but now the cousins as well as my wife probably hold on to about 4-5,000 acres in Georgia. My wife became the owner of the property the 1st part of last year and it was in need of a little TLC so to speak. There was an old pecan orchard that was grown up from head to toe in weeds, volunteer pines, small hardwoods etc. I have attached pictures of the before and after of the orchard as well as what it looks like today. IF you look behind the mulcher you can see just how bad it was before the mulcher arrived.

The farm is a total of 550 acres with some tillable (the peanuts look great this year) as well as pine and mature hardwood bottoms. We have also clear cut a couple of small mature pine tracts and thinned the remaining pines to open up the area little as I plan to burn it once I can get some good pine straw on the ground. One 15 acre clearcut I call the graveyard stand (there's a small cemetery on the edge of the adjacent field that has been there for years) is going to be my honey hole this year I hope. It feeds in from a hardwood bottom and my stand looks downhill through the clearcut towards the hardwood bottom. I plan on putting a long strip foodplot on the edge of the hardwood bottom that would separate the hardwoods from the clearcut.

Next week we also start the expensive adventure of building a second home on the property in the orchard. So far we have picked out the brick for foundations and chimney and we only went over budget by 13%. I hope to keep you guys updated on the progress and I hope we can make up for the 13% in brick in other areas. Right behind the orchard we are planning to build a pond as well but that will likely happen next year as this has been a wet year for the area (plus I will need to save some money).

Below I have a few pics of the orchard, the building site etc. The first and second picture is the orchard as of yesterday. The 3rd and fourth picture is the building site and the lane leading between the pecan trees to the building site. I hope you enjoy the pics and I hope to send more as the projects progress.

. Farm 3.JPGFarm 4.JPGFarm 5.JPGFarm 6.JPGFarm 2.JPGOrchard post.jpgorchard pre.jpgPotential Pond Site.jpg Farm 8.jpg

Last edited:
Randy, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your property. I bought my property just after my first son was born. I wish I could imagine how special that connection is with land that has been in a family for so long. Maybe my kids and grand kids will know. You are very fortunate and must feel a certain responsibility to that land.
Looking forward to following along with your progress.
What part of the great state of Georgia are you from?

Randy, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your property. I bought my property just after my first son was born. I wish I could imagine how special that connection is with land that has been in a family for so long. Maybe my kids and grand kids will know. You are very fortunate and must feel a certain responsibility to that land.
Looking forward to following along with your progress.
What part of the great state of Georgia are you from?

The farm is in Emanuel county. We reside further south in Douglas. We do feel fortunate and the first thing i wanted to do was show it the attention it really deserves.

The farm is in Emanuel county. We reside further south in Douglas. We do feel fortunate and the first thing i wanted to do was show it the attention it really deserves.

I was born in Marietta and have relations in Thomaston. I've not been back in years but do have a love for the area that goes back to my childhood.

I was born in Marietta and have relations in Thomaston. I've not been back in years but do have a love for the area that goes back to my childhood.
Thomaston has some nice property in it and around it that is for sure. My wife once worked up in Thomaston from time to time when she worked for DaVita Dialysis. Marietta consists of mostly concrete and people.

Old pecan orchards are so beautiful. Glad you uncovered it and congrats on the start of a new home.

Great looking place Randy! It's been a while since I've been in GA, but what I saw of it was really nice.
I worked for Foley Mobile Concrete in the mid 80's, got to see Palmetto, Newnan, and of course Columbus if you're close to any of those.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Great looking place Randy! It's been a while since I've been in GA, but what I saw of it was really nice.
I worked for Foley Mobile Concrete in the mid 80's, got to see Palmetto, Newnan, and of course Columbus if you're close to any of those.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
Our farm is in middle Georgia back towards Statesboro. The outskirts of Newnan is indeed beautiful country. A few retired Braves/Atlanta Falcons players live on the outskirts. Of course the Walking Dead TV show is filmed nearby in Senoia as well so that area is booming right now. Its easy access to Atlanta. With the housing market coming back I am afraid its going to keep booming and get swallowed up into Atlanta.

I live in Newnan. If you came here in the 80s you would not even recognize it now. Exploded would be an understatement

Welcome to the forum Randy! Been to Douglas many times years ago. Our son started his college days at South Georgia College. One of the coolest baseball fields in the country. If my memory serves me correct, it is an old minor league facility. Look forward to following along on your thread.

farmhouse Oct 12.jpg Farmhouse Oct 12 (2).jpg Quick update on the progress of the farmhouse. We are one month in for the most part. Its finally starting to look like a house. So far we are pretty close to staying on budget somehow but time will tell of course.

View attachment 9864 View attachment 9865 Quick update on the progress of the farmhouse. We are one month in for the most part. Its finally starting to look like a house. So far we are pretty close to staying on budget somehow but time will tell of course.

My wife and I are redoing the basement. It's costing me double what we thought it would cost. Hahahaha congrats for staying on budget.

Nice place you got there!

11272017 farmhouse.jpg Henry 2 hunting.jpg Emanuel co kill.jpg

Here is another update of the farmhouse. We are nearing three months in and I am ready to be finished to say the least. Lighting/plumbing fixtures etc can get pricey. I hope to be finished by 2/1/18 with everything. We have taken one nice buck off the farm this year and we have let several younger bucks get a pass. Our cousin who helps me manage the feeders and cameras killed this one a couple of weekends ago. The other picture is the top of my 4 year olds head as we were hunting the pasture field this past Saturday evening. We ended up seeing close to 20 deer. No shooters.

Enjoying your land tour Randy. The pecan grove looks wonderful, have never seen one. The pecan trees have a unique and distinctive look to them. That is a heck of a deer your property produced. I like the long tines on the rack and nice mass as well. What does a good Georgia buck like that typically dress out at?

That one looks easily 200+ on the hoof. The 4 year old I shot in 2013 went 210 on the hoof and I don't think he was that big.

Enjoying your land tour Randy. The pecan grove looks wonderful, have never seen one. The pecan trees have a unique and distinctive look to them. That is a heck of a deer your property produced. I like the long tines on the rack and nice mass as well. What does a good Georgia buck like that typically dress out at?
On the hoof it was probably around 200lbs. I am sure it was a 4.5 to 5.5 year old buck. Of course this buck in the Midwest would probably tip the 250lb mark on or more. The area around our farm is common for peanuts, cotton, and the occasional soybean field. The tillable land this year had about 40% peanuts to 60% cotton so the peanuts probably helped add some extra weight. We always seem to have a great acorn crop in the hardwood bottoms as well.

Back