I hate Snow

Started off good, foot of snow for gun season. But then it melted, and have to start over.

I hate cold without snow. Hate summer,even up here.

This was the first "snow" of the year for us today.....opener for muzzleloader season. It was 20 degrees out with a good 10 mph wind..... My son went out any way (only one muzzleloader in the house and I was feeling bad).....he wasn't real happy! Typical for this time of year, but doesn't mean we have to like it!
first snow.jpg

I love snow....especially when observed from a distance of, say, 200 or 300 miles north of here. Hello, upstate New York!
Not only does it snow a bit here but the wind also blows tremendously during winter lightning storms. It blows so hard that individual snowflakes are rolled across fields picking up more snow flakes with each turn creating snowballs larger than basketballs before they finally come to rest partly sunk in the snow itself. Here is a field the morning after one of the winter lightning storms.
field_of_snowballs.JPG

And this is wife Anne holding one up to show the size of the wind made snowballs.
annie-snowball-ed.JPG
We have no choice; we must love the snow as once it starts it keeps snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing.

Not only does it snow a bit here but the wind also blows tremendously during winter lightning storms. It blows so hard that individual snowflakes are rolled across fields picking up more snow flakes with each turn creating snowballs larger than basketballs before they finally come to rest partly sunk in the snow itself. Here is a field the morning after one of the winter lightning storms.
View attachment 10582

And this is wife Anne holding one up to show the size of the wind made snowballs.
View attachment 10581
We have no choice; we must love the snow as once it starts it keeps snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing.

Thank you for sharing! To elevate our own sense of well-being it's only necessary to look around, seeing the adversity others face! Well, that much snow and cold is a tribulation to me. Though, I do confess I once liked it. However, all good things in excess sometimes leads to a-brrrrr-sion!

View attachment 10582

View attachment 10581
We had this happen here once......the wind rolled the snow into little hollow snow logs.....it was very strange to see.... It's like lightening in the snow.....just really neat to see.

I took my 11-year-old over to my parents' house in south Louisiana on Friday to see her first snowfall ever. Driving 120 miles in rain, sleet, and snow wasn't a whole lot of fun, but seeing 7 inches of snow in south Louisiana is not something you see everyday. I haven't seen any snow since 2008. I am now good for another 5-10 years. I saw about 10 cars, trucks and even a semi in the ditch on the way over and back. The roads weren't even icy at the time.

The only benefit I can see to hunting in the snow is tracking a deer that you shot. I saw a couple of deer and they really stood out compared to their normal camouflage and I also followed a set of tracks for over 100 yards. I don't think I would want to hunt or live with snow on a regular basis.

That's neat J-bird. The winter lightning and snowballs are actually a rare occurrence here as well and is generally unheard of in most of New York. I had guessed it had something to do with the warmer lake temperatures mixing with the winter cold but haven't read anything on it.. The lake effect snow deal is on full force right this minute and of course is not rare here at all. It has snowed some on each of the last three days and is forecast to snow some of the next 12 out of 15 days. I should be in a panic because my snow plow truck is at the repair shop but I'm OK to just wait until I get it back to plow the driveway completely. Using the tractor bucket tractor to make a path through the snow will get us to the road 1/4 mile away so we can get out to pick up the truck once the repairs are complete in a day or two.

The deer don't get a day off; the hunting seasons ended today and now they need to deal with the snow. It is only a ft. deep so far and hopefully it will slow down soon so it won't add up much more. Additionally there are still a few steelhead fisherman in town; hope they brought their snowshoes.

Speaking of snowshoes, I'm going to dig my snowshoes out tonight so we are not completely housebound tomorrow.
This snow is our tradeoff for enjoying the beautiful cool breezes off of the lake all summer.
I love snow! Kinda.

Last edited:
That's neat J-bird. The winter lightning and snowballs are actually a rare occurrence here as well and is generally unheard of in most of New York. I had guessed it had something to do with the warmer lake temperatures mixing with the winter cold but haven't read anything on it.. The lake effect snow deal is on full force right this minute and of course is not rare here at all. It has snowed some on each of the last three days and is forecast to snow some of the next 12 out of 15 days. I should be in a panic because my snow plow truck is at the repair shop but I'm OK to just wait until I get it back to plow the driveway completely. Using the tractor bucket tractor to make a path through the snow will get us to the road 1/4 mile away so we can get out to pick up the truck once the repairs are complete in a day or two.

The deer don't get a day off; the hunting seasons ended today and now they need to deal with the snow. It is only a ft. deep so far and hopefully it will slow down soon so it won't add up much more. Additionally there are still a few steelhead fisherman in town; hope they brought their snowshoes.

Speaking of snowshoes, I'm going to dig my snowshoes out tonight so we are not completely housebound tomorrow.
This snow is our tradeoff for enjoying the beautiful cool breezes off of the lake all summer.
I love snow! Kinda.
The "snow" I pictured was gone the next day! My average annual snow amount here is a whopping 13 inches. I know that is laughable by your standards......but it's also why there is NO WAY I'm moving further north! I'm sure NY state is pretty, but I'll visit in the summer or fall!!!!

I bought a snow plow for the ATV a few years ago. Probably had 6 inches of snow TOTAL since the purchase. As a guy that commutes 90 miles round trip everyday, no complaints here.

I love hunting in snow. Shooting light 30 mins earlier, easier to spot deer, leaves excellent clues and makes for easy tracking.
Another reason it makes hunting more interesting is that deer movement will revolve around snow storms. It will get them moving before the storm (debatable) and most certainly after the storm.
I begin to hate snow when it gets deeper than 2 feet, and begins to stand in the way of management projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

We are in the Plume! That means that two feet is inevitable and soon. The deer are curled up and probably covered in snow like a grouse.
We have a good supply of water and food and wood and gas for the generator so it can just keep on snowing. We'll just cue off the deer and stay curled up. The lake effect snow machine is supposed to take a break tomorrow sometime; we'll see.

They are forecasting temps in the mid 50's here next week at the moment! There is a reason I average 13" a year....around here it can be tough to tell exactly which season it is from one day to the next! You boys just keep old man winter busy for a while......

Back