Hogs - suggestions for a hunt?

MattJK

With deer wrapping up (almost) in Illinois, I'm thinking I need a big game hunt to tide me over to next season. Additionally, two of my kids want to hunt deer with me next year so a little experience prior is only helpful. And, we like pork!

Any suggestions? I've never hunted hogs before so I'm not sure what's feasible. I'm thinking DIY is not right for my first outing, especially with kids. I'm not sure I can stomach or afford fully guided for 3 on an invasive species. But, that's probably the easiest option.

Any experiences to share or recommendations for me? Is it unrealistic to find a landowner with a hog problem open to some newbies for spot and stalk?

I would look for a guide down south somewhere. Find one that is "no kill, no pay." There are some guys that run cheap hog hunts around me in FL, that aren't guaranteed kill, but are cheap. He buses people out morning and night, hardly anyone ever sees a hog. Preys on unsuspecting tourists.

I have been looking for a hog hunt myself. If you are not against high fence there are some pretty reasonable priced places in OK. You get into TX you are looking at $300-400 per day.

I have had several customers go to Shiloh Ranch in Oklahoma. I dont have any personal experience with them, but I dont recall any negative comments from folks.

I saw a big boar from my stand yesterday evening here on our 80 and have started getting regular pictures of several on our deer lease...hard to believe 20 years ago I was driving long distances to hunt hogs...

My first suggestion would be to go where the hogs are. You need a target rich environment. Texas and Oklahoma would be the first that come to mind.
Second would be to choose how you want to hunt. You can spot and stalk in areas thick with hogs. Hunt stands over bait, or hunt with dogs.
A few years back I hunted hogs with dogs here in Missouri. The guide gave us the option of killing the hogs with a knife once the dogs had them pinned down. Lots of action and lots of fun. Only thing I'd do differently next time is hunt on horseback to keep up with the dogs.
So pick your method, then your state, then find an outfitter that works for you.

With deer wrapping up (almost) in Illinois, I'm thinking I need a big game hunt to tide me over to next season. Additionally, two of my kids want to hunt deer with me next year so a little experience prior is only helpful. And, we like pork!

Any suggestions? I've never hunted hogs before so I'm not sure what's feasible. I'm thinking DIY is not right for my first outing, especially with kids. I'm not sure I can stomach or afford fully guided for 3 on an invasive species. But, that's probably the easiest option.

Any experiences to share or recommendations for me? Is it unrealistic to find a landowner with a hog problem open to some newbies for spot and stalk?

If our hogs were predictable, i would love to do a swap hunt, but alas, they come and they go. My bride has killed four this fall. I havent seen any myself.

I would look into okie if i lived in illinois. Good luck!

If you wait long enough you will be able to hunt them there in your home state...

Hogs and bears are something I thought I would never see anywhere near me in my lifetime and now we have them both and you can't even walk for all the armadillo holes... I wish all 3 of these species would move on :(

If you wait long enough you will be able to hunt them there in your home state...

Hogs and bears are something I thought I would never see anywhere near me in my lifetime and now we have them both and you can't even walk for all the armadillo holes... I wish all 3 of these species would move on :(

True. We do have hogs in about 3 counties now and the DNR asks if you've seen any when you report a deer. Bears are on the islands in the missippi River between MO and IL so that's only a matter of time too.

I have shot them by sitting stands like deer hunting. We can bait and hunt them year round since they are not considered a game animal in Ga.
If you are physically able, I would suggest going somewhere that gives you the opportunity to follow some trailing dogs and then take the bayed animal. Some guides even offer the opportunity to take the hog by knife.

Back