Glyphosate on young clover....

A picture is always worth a thousand words, but I am going to believe that you see enough clover there that you think it's worth saving. I will also assume your soil ph is above 6.

I'm not sure what type of clover you have, but probably assume one is crimson. More clover will germinate because Mother Nature produces seed with both a hard shell and a soft shell, just to give her "clovers" her best chance at reproducing. I also know that when we do get some cold weather, some weeds will die and some weeds and grasses will go dormant, that are in your plot right now.

So, what would I do? If you're looking to establish a clover plot, I'd over seed with wheat or cereal rye, choose a different variety of clover, preferably a perennial like Durana, Patriot, LS-1, Regal, or Advantage and add to your seed base. Then I would broadcast 200 lbs/acre of 0-20-20 fertilizer and if I can bush hog, I'd bush hog it all down on top and wait to see what you end up with next spring, then work on your weed control.

You have all of October, to do this and I'd look at doing it ahead of a rain. Mother Nature gave deer long noses, to pick between the weeds they don't like.

A lot of good advice given on this topic already. By no means do i consider myself an expert but i have tried a light dose of gly twice now and didn't get the clean field i was hoping for either time. After trying it this year we noticed some gly resistance with remaining weeds. So We hit it with a heavy dose, disced twice and planted annuals. I expect extra discing will be required next spring as well. In the future i will leave this method to the experts.

If you try it make sure you know what weeds and grasses you have and that a light dose will get the job done.

Back