advice for a soy bean plot

David

Planting 13 acres of beans on the 19th of may. Renting a great plains 706 NT from the local county extension. Time is a small issue so wondering if my 2 ideas are stupid or safe.

#1) i am broadcasting 3 bags per acre of 0-20-20. Since there is no nitrogen can i do this a week ahead of time? Im planting into last years standing wheat.

#2) Do Glyphosate, Dual Magnum or 2-4 D prevent the germination of a soy bean in anyway? Im torn between applying them tomorrow (may 9th) and planting 10 days later, or IF THERE IS TIME IN THE DAY, just applying them the same day i drill the beans.

I spent alot of time on the phone with the seed company (eagle beans) and spoke with some of their fellas and they told me 2-4D had to be applied 2 weeks before planting. but that the gly and dual magnum could be sprayed at any time between now and planting. does that sound right?

David

Last edited:
I presume this is for a food plot. If so, I'd skip the fertilizer. Unlike farmers who harvest, food plotters are not removing nutrients from the soil by harvesting. Nutrients deer eat are cycled back into the soil through droppings. Using a no-till drill is the key. Since you are not doing traditional tillage, you are not introducing oxygen into the soil to burn up your OM and you are conserving moisture. The significantly improves nutrient cycling, so I'd save the money on the fertilizer.

Next, Eagle beans are a forage type bean that are roundup ready. They are browse resistant and if you are planting 13 acres you should have plenty even in high deer density areas. Gly does not have any soil residual effects unlike 24D. There are different times you need to delay planting soybeans after using different formulations of 24D (Ester/Amine). Read the label for details, but 2 weeks sounds about right.

I personally would consider using a combination of generic Liberty and Gly for burn-down. I have been able to plant immediately after using this combination. You can then later use just gly for a post emergent spraying.

Thanks,

Jack

You're asking the internet because you don't trust the advice of the seed company? If you have any doubt, always read herbicide labels.

2-4 D isn't a preemergent herbicide, so it won't affect germination, but that doesn't mean it won't hurt the beans. It's a post emergent herbicide, with residual effects. Your beans should germinate fine but might be killed by the residual post emergent effects, if you spray 2-4 D.

Grizz is right. Typically, with RR beans like Eagle forage beans, you don't need a pre-emergent herbicide. The pre-plant burndown eliminates actively growing weeds. Since the beans are RR, gly takes care of most weeds that emerge with a post-emergent spraying.

If you are using Enlist beans, the 2,4-D in the herbicide is not your normal 2,4-D. I'm not sure on the specifics, but they are not interchangeable.

If you are using Enlist beans, the 2,4-D in the herbicide is not your normal 2,4-D. I'm not sure on the specifics, but they are not interchangeable.
Good point. These are new. The 24-D formulation is neither Amine or Ester which is what I was referring to in my previous post.

One more point for food plots. Since we are not trying to harvest beans, weeds (in general) are less of a problem in food plots. Typically, we need to use enough herbicide to so that forage beans get the edge and canopy. With 13 acres, there will be plenty of quality deer food in the plot regardless of weeds as long as the beans get enough edge over weeds to canopy.

Herbicides play a greater role with smaller plots with higher deer densities where the combination of browse pressure and weed competition will not allow beans to canopy.

Planting 13 acres of beans on the 19th of may. Renting a great plains 706 NT from the local county extension. Time is a small issue so wondering if my 2 ideas are stupid or safe.

#1) i am broadcasting 3 bags per acre of 0-20-20. Since there is no nitrogen can i do this a week ahead of time? Im planting into last years standing wheat.

#2) Do Glyphosate, Dual Magnum or 2-4 D prevent the germination of a soy bean in anyway? Im torn between applying them tomorrow (may 9th) and planting 10 days later, or IF THERE IS TIME IN THE DAY, just applying them the same day i drill the beans.

I spent alot of time on the phone with the seed company (eagle beans) and spoke with some of their fellas and they told me 2-4D had to be applied 2 weeks before planting. but that the gly and dual magnum could be sprayed at any time between now and planting. does that sound right?

David
How tall will your wheat be when you plant?

I would spray wheat with gly and drill beans into wheat,you can spray gly a couple hours before you plant and let dry then drill then spray pre emergent all same day

Back