Geo in Co

I always say, we all have to go so might as well go happy. But don't do that just yet. Loved the tag along again, and dammit, you definately one upped my shroom pic. Thanks.

I always say, we all have to go so might as well go happy. But don't do that just yet. Loved the tag along again, and dammit, you definately one upped my shroom pic. Thanks.

I'm not sure about that, it wasn't my intention. It did get to being a pain in the butt stopping and getting the camera out for every shroom along the way.

On the first hike I thought about your words to get ground level and move. After passing on the three point the words were pretty much cemented.

G

Thanks guys

I like it up there Brad and if I can find a writing utensil the note will read something like-

I George, being of sound mind and broke legs, do hereby leaveth my bowtech to whatever finds it. It is a good bow, and killt the elk that killt me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, George.

G
I used to fish WI trout streams with my dad, and if dad saw foot prints along the creek he wouldn't fish there saying, "It's already been fished". There were no phones or anything to interrupt our solitude, and very few Americans have ever experienced solitude. Solitude was more important than catching fish, though we were focused on fishing.

Should you cross paths, say hello to Grizzy Adams. ;-)

I used to fish WI trout streams with my dad, and if dad saw foot prints along the creek he wouldn't fish there saying, "It's already been fished". There were no phones or anything to interrupt our solitude, and very few Americans have ever experienced solitude. Solitude was more important than catching fish, though we were focused on fishing.

Should you cross paths, say hello to Grizzy Adams. ;-)

Yesterday I started down a trail then took a hard right, no more foot prints. I wanted to find a meadow with a water hole at 9,600'.

3rd hunt (1200 x 640).jpg

DSC06738 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06742 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06746 (1200 x 900).jpg

Gravity was a factor towards the top.

DSC06751 (1200 x 900).jpg

Once the hill leveled off I had to negotiate a knarly stick pile.

DSC06748 (1200 x 900).jpg

I found the meadow

DSC06752 (1200 x 900).jpg

and the water hole

DSC06758 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06756 (1200 x 900).jpg

I guarded the water hole for a couple of hours then after a t shower I split before the next round of showers moved in. I found destroyed trees, lots of poop and tracks but didn't see or hear any elk.

DSC06761 (1200 x 900).jpg

You've gone from flatlander to mountain man; climbing 9000 feet is impressive!

Those pictures are awesome! Do you know what killed the trees?

You've gone from flatlander to mountain man; climbing 9000 feet is impressive!

Those pictures are awesome! Do you know what killed the trees?

I cheated on my last hike, I drove up so that I only had about 700' of vertical climb. However 2000' vertical on a trail may be easier than 700' without.

Pine bark beetle is the culprit. Years ago I saw it as destruction but now after my Iowa experience I see it as opening up the canopy and letting the sun shine.

G

I didn't exactly have high expectations for growing food plots at 8,000', on poor clay, with a 100 day growing season. I throwed and mowed which was more like shake and bake. I finally got enough atmospheric moisture to germinate a few plants in August. No inputs other than my very own liquid nitrogen. With consistent showers lately, I have some growth

7 16 co 184 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06764 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Thanks lak

Brush, the plot is for me and the girls (does).

It looks like I got my pictures back after the cyber attack.

G

It has to be challenging hunting vast country like that. I'm sure that the same concepts of water, food, trails, cover, etc. hold true even there, but it seems that narrowing things down would be much more difficult than back east. The good thing is that you will narrow it down and be as fit as an Olympic runner while doing it.

It has to be challenging hunting vast country like that. I'm sure that the same concepts of water, food, trails, cover, etc. hold true even there, but it seems that narrowing things down would be much more difficult than back east. The good thing is that you will narrow it down and be as fit as an Olympic runner while doing it.

The first day I hit an undisturbed area and the bulls that came down the hill were coming to the natural food plot and creek and not my coyote calls.

Security is big, my mentor in town said that the elk probably all split the area I went in to on Thursday because of outfitter traffic with in a mile or two.

I think the key will be when they get vocal and are in the mood. I will move and call.

As I mentioned I finally, after all those years of trying to scratch glass or slate in 90% humidity, I finally figure out how sing with the diaphragm. I bought just a hollow tube to go with my diaphragm. I can do turkeys, bulls, cows, and the National Anthem, at least I could last evening after a few shots of Jack.

G

Just getting caught up on your thread G. That waterhole looks like a good spot to ambush and elk. I see backstraps for dinner in your near future. I'm thinking your probably the only person in your area that has a foodplot in their backyard.

Geo...Boys are out there in your country. Getting updates several times a day showing their location with message - Check in OK.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Really enjoying this journey Geo. Thanks for allowing us all to tag along. Can't wait to see where this leads.

Thanks Cedar, this might just lead back down to the fishing hole.

Just getting caught up on your thread G. That waterhole looks like a good spot to ambush and elk. I see backstraps for dinner in your near future. I'm thinking your probably the only person in your area that has a foodplot in their backyard.

Beautiful pics! I think i might hang a stand at that wallow and sit a spell.

Thanks guys, I'm heading out today to find a water hole closer to home in my backyard woods.

Geo...Boys are out there in your country. Getting updates several times a day showing their location with message - Check in OK.
View attachment 2917

Yep it looks like they are in the mountains, I look forward to hear how they are doing, thanks.

I've been meaning to update, just been busy bow hiking, working (a tiny bit), and gathering fire wood. The hills have filled up with hunters and hikers particularly over the Holiday weekend.

G

Labor Day I went up the hillside that I've been hunting to check traffic at the trail heads and found lots of people. Anywhere there was a horse trail there were horse trailers, 4 wheel trails, 4 wheel trailers. No one at the trail head where I found elk my first two hunts so up I went. I sat above fresh track, poop, and rubs for 3 hours till hikers came in and had a picnic right below me.

DSC06773 (1200 x 900).jpg

Wednesday I hit a wilderness drainage. 6 young fellas ready to hit the trail when I got there, I hustled up thinking that they would catch me.

Indian Creek (1200 x 640).jpg

The first part of the trail took me above my favorite fishing hole.

DSC06778 (1200 x 900).jpg

I saw the tracks and knew that there was a group up and down over the Holiday weekend so I was just on another bow hike.

DSC06809 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06812 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06825 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06816 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06819 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06821 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06822 (1200 x 900).jpg

It was 6-7 miles up to the meadow and on the way back down I met 2 of the young fellas laboring up the trail at about the 3 mile in mark. I covered about 12 miles when I met 2 more of the young fellas at the 2 mile mark in. I congratulated them on making their first 2 Colorado miles. In fairness to them my pack weighs around 20 lbs and their packs looked like they didn't leave anything at home.

G

Friday I went to look for signs of a resident herd on my backyard hillside.

DSC06836 (1200 x 900).jpg

I found a few rubs and lots of old poop but not a single fresh turd. It was hot out, I was looking for a water hole, was close but didn't find it.

DSC06842 (1200 x 900).jpg

This is where I've been gathering firewood lately. These are white spruce. One tree front and center that I dropped paced out 33 paces long.

DSC06826 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Back