Frost Seed Selection Help

All,

I'm going to be frost seeding a couple 1/4 plots that I have planted in WR last year. I was wondering what combinations of seed you had the best luck with. I was leaning towards clover and chickory. Is there anything I should add or take away?? what types of clover are the best to frost seed. all my plots are currently done via throw and mow

Last edited:
I frost seeded a clover/chicory combo last year and it worked like a charm. The plot was pretty clean with a lot of dirt showing. Clover was a mix of ladino and medium red. Careful, though....a little chicory goes a long way. I’ve only done it 1 year, so I’m sure others can offer more experienced advice.

I am getting ready to do some frost seeding myself in a week or two. I’d like to follow along on this thread. I’ve always frost seeded ladino clover with good success in SE Ohio. I am going to try some crimson clover and medium red in a plot that currently has wheat, rye, and oats from this past fall.

Regarding the chicory frost seeding, can I spray 2-4db on a chicory field during the summer months to knock back any unwanted broadleaf weeds? For some reason I feel like I remember reading that chicory can’t be sprayed with 2-4db.

I am interested in following along on this one. Thank you to anyone who can help us out.

Regarding the chicory frost seeding, can I spray 2-4db on a chicory field during the summer months to knock back any unwanted broadleaf weeds? For some reason I feel like I remember reading that chicory can’t be sprayed with 2-4db.

You remember correctly. That's why I spray Clethodim on my clover/chicory plots to kill grasses and manage the broadleaf weeds with mowing and maybe some spot spraying of nasty weeds.

You remember correctly. That's why I spray Clethodim on my clover/chicory plots to kill grasses and manage the broadleaf weeds with mowing and maybe some spot spraying of nasty weeds.
Thank you! I spray the Clethodim as well. I’ll keep that in mind if I decide to try some chicory this season.
If you were going to frost seed some chicory seed into an already existing clover plot how many lbs per acre would you recommend?

Thank you! I spray the Clethodim as well. I’ll keep that in mind if I decide to try some chicory this season.
If you were going to frost seed some chicory seed into an already existing clover plot how many lbs per acre would you recommend?

Well, it varies based on several factors, not the least of which is how much chicory you want in the plot. If it were me, I'd probably use 2 to 3 lbs per acre based on what the soil contact situation looked like. Knowing myself, I'd split the difference and use 2.5 lbs, lol.

Back