First Buck!!!

Nothing quite as satisfying as seeing your hard work pay off! Congrats!

I believe that most likely a new buck will take his place if you kill this one. Conditional on two things though; you have enough bucks around to fill the void, and you don't burn the place out and make them nocturnal.

Good luck this season!

Nothing quite as satisfying as seeing your hard work pay off! Congrats!

I believe that most likely a new buck will take his place if you kill this one. Conditional on two things though; you have enough bucks around to fill the void, and you don't burn the place out and make them nocturnal.

Good luck this season!

Yep ! Be very careful in your approaches and exits or you’ll stink up the woods and make your deer turn into vampires. This is something I never knew or even thought of for the first ten years or so that I hunted deer. It’s my top priority now though. If I can’t enter my stand, hunt it, and leave it with a minimal of noise and scent dispersal, I simply won’t hunt.

Of course when I worked for a living, I was pretty well tied to whatever days I had off. Working in the oil patch was not conducive to lots of that so I simply hunted when I could. I even killed a deer every now and then, but I was far from consistent. Now that I’m retired, I can hunt any day or every day. I pick the ones that are most likely to let me be successful. Good luck !

I do believe that's two different bucks. One has a stain on his back right leg (weird cause tarsal glands are on the inside of the leg) and looks to be a fork horn on the left. Where the other looks to have 4 on his left side. Kind of tough to tell. Maybe you have some other pictures.

It also depends on if you want to make your land great hunting or good hunting. Letting the small 8 pointers go next year you will be amazed on how big it will get. Personally I wouldn’t shot it yet. I would use him to lure other deer in. Your on the right track so keep putting in the work. As you see it is paying off

Hey, most of us started out shooting smaller racks like that. If thinking of shooting that deer gets your blood pumping I say go for it! I'm all for good sausage. And eventually your plot should get you to the place where you pass that size and shoot them 2 years later when they are ready for the taxidermist. Don't let peer pressure take the fun of the hunt away from you, bigger deer will come along some day, but you can't ever get the thrill of filling your tag and freezer back if you pass the opportunity because someone said you've always got to get a big one.

Good luck! I remember the first time I saw a deer (doe and fawn) walk in and use a plot that I had planted. It was an amazing feeling.

Keep up the good work and shoot whatever makes you happy!

Back