Finally...Cultipacker!

HB_Hunter

I finally found a Cultipacker for a reasonable price within a reasonable distance.

18819051b979f100cb3007ca76a1881d.jpg

Nobody that knows me cares too much so I thought I'd share with you all . They seem to go fast in my area...

And I have a quick question. Will I have any issues if I pull this slowly over a gravel/dirt/rocky road? I have about a 3/4 mile drive to one of my food plots and will roll over all of the above along the way.

Good find ! Probably wouldn't hurt it taking it easy, but you could put transport wheels on that sucker pretty easily if you weld.

I like you looked and looked for a long time. When I found one I jumped on it even though it needed some TLC. I am to this day very happy about it.
de47611173a581bfb4b21d92d067fe43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good find ! Probably wouldn't hurt it taking it easy, but you could put transport wheels on that sucker pretty easily if you weld.

It's 9.5 feet wide and I'm guessing it weighs over 1,000lbs. The wheels are 17" diameter. I can easily get transport wheels welded to it, but I'm afraid flipping it might put too much weight on the center rod. Should I worry about that?

It looks like some of the old Dunhams, but the only thing I can find on it is "DELUXE" in all caps on the side.

Nice find ..2 suggestions coming from my find of an old cultipacker a few years ago ...first pull down the axle end plates/caps and check the bearings which in many cases are hard maple blocks ..If they need replacing it is far easier to do so while you have complete specimens to work from ..and while down repack them with heavy grease as many DO NOT have grease zirks thru which to grease them

Second ...slow passage over a gravel road is fine ..and uneven roads are ok ..just try not to get the center unsupported and clear rocks sofball size and larger from your travel path as hell as chunks ..the idea being any objects that might act as a "scotch" to the roller ..the end game is is the end brackets are many times cast iron which is brittle and subject to "shock" breakage ..

Have fun and a safe season!

Bear

Thanks Bear. I was planning to use it as is for planting next weekend and then break it down over the winter for repair. It does have grease zirks and I'm guessing the bearings will need to be replaced. It's well greased now.

I've been searching for one for a few years now and only have been able to find ones that are either too big, or are rusted and used up pretty good. Good find!

Congrats on a nice find. I have one that is almost identical. You will have no problem transporting it. We transport ours about the same distance on a dirt/gravel road between our two properties. No issues, just take it easy.

That's better then finding Bigfoot. I've been looking for years too. I recently stopped and asked an old farmer but, he shot me down.
It has to be one of the toughest implements to get without buying new.

That's better then finding Bigfoot. I've been looking for years too. I recently stopped and asked an old farmer but, he shot me down.
It has to be one of the toughest implements to get without buying new.

If you are willing to travel they pop up more often in Ohio. That is where I went to get mine.

Nice fine as I picked up a 2 wheel cultipacker this spring before the rush was on for planting.
All 4 of my bearing needed rebuilt as they where almost down to metal. My wood bearings are hard maple, 6 sided with a 1.5" hole for the axle and 6 grease holes in the center for grease transfer.
The wood bearings aren't available so I did research and found a guy on Yesterday Tractor forum who rebuilt his bearings 10 years ago using plastic PVC pipe. This idea got my thought process goings so I did the same rebuilt.
Took 1.5" PVC pipe, which was just too small ID to slip over my 1.5" axle so I just did a single split on the table saw and pride it open enough to slip on the axle.
Then I took 2.5" PVC pipe and split into 2 pieces length wise and put over the 1.5" pieces.
Everything is tight as a drum. Installed the end caps and shot it full of grease with the top grease zerks.

I've used it 2 times now and everything works and sounds OK. Next spring I'll take the end caps off for a inspection but I don't expect to find anything. I figure I go 2 miles total putting in the food plots.

Back