Feedback on chicory?

split toe

I thought about planting it as a perrenial with whitetail institute clover. Anybody had any luck with this? My other option was going to be the clover with forage oats. I plan on plating in the next month.

I have planted chicory with clover at maybe 90% clover 10% chicory(ballpark estimate) and the places in the clover where chicory is present seems to have better growth. The two seem to work well together. This year I planted some alfalfa with chicory but it hasn't had enough time to grow so I can't say good or bad there. I have clover with oats and it's doing just fine. I'm looking to get plots established that will be maint. free other than mowing a couple times a year(getting lazy). Should add that I'm in central Minnesota.

I always plant chicory when Im starting a new clover plot . I usually plant landino clover (overseed at 15 to 20 lbs acre) and chicory at around 5 or 6 lbs acre . I also plant 50 lbs of wheat or rye as a nurse crop . This usually works great if the rains come .

My deer for some reason go nuts for chicory in the early fall once we get cool nights. I have it mixed in with my perennial clover plots - and you will see the big broad leaves of it in september and then somebody flips a switch and the deer come thru and hammer the crap out of it to where you have no idea the chicory was ever there. The deer eat it some in the summer, but for some reason there is a trigger in the early fall where the deer seem to specifically seek it out on my place. You do have to watch your varieties as there are different varieties for different applications. It can even grow wild. I know some folks plant plots of of it as the primary planting.

Chicory makes an excellent companion crop for clover but it can limit your spraying options. As far as I know there's no herbicide that works for both, because chicory is not a legume.

My deer for some reason go nuts for chicory in the early fall once we get cool nights. I have it mixed in with my perennial clover plots - and you will see the big broad leaves of it in september and then somebody flips a switch and the deer come thru and hammer the crap out of it to where you have no idea the chicory was ever there. The deer eat it some in the summer, but for some reason there is a trigger in the early fall where the deer seem to specifically seek it out on my place. You do have to watch your varieties as there are different varieties for different applications. It can even grow wild. I know some folks plant plots of of it as the primary planting.

This has been my experience as well. I won't plant a perennial clover stand without it.

Here is the feedback I get. This starts at spring greenup and never slows down:

VJLKtR6zZ7DJEDzvdqp5GNlukbHzgiQEM6pi0_tccUdenCQz0xHYVm_ct23jXy-nvrIJVK2uZHzPKbgZ6Uq_bdTT4J4JWpZoEtUj-qdjPlmtTE0qLNXHkJVNLHKMw5TUe_VT_VUtOG1GnbD-Vw1r1FkLijNfTd654jon5JmnhhIg0nY2XwYBBHSX-4Mj1cR67OjTXIPd5vLd436eYHfrskML4Foed0T-OaqVKCi2npbid9EeA0tFBzuSLK7wlWaosvD9LcnhgOk6TShpfJdUcXhfGUMCVb2IeJH_YPUd3-iYzkdSOeiTwHvdCvo3l2mBF0ahJLDBrrtSeleqEeL6kSGzFl1Em9KzRqVCFbpEIBKPttikOQeAoauXP5C8RaTVzeKXNUTDNJ5Xr3Dj5uNuq6JnsSJ0C145GfghqVaHAf2FMRMFX32MvoWzAlfHWKi_EuCU0LFQLwZmlvOGqAm_vLIxSkqgyGA52rkteHJEs_78EXgjiIhPcZJVgdCjh0NNrKdJPn62GfP9NC5gKsxnhS5vwS_XbpnKbICWDWiMXuv2w--Yk11-Vfpbv_shOZrK2EBHI1ApSxHBX2zp82xHtUF1oaf3rECOnkCSblIohlgoUS6X_I1V=w636-h589-no

Chicory makes an excellent companion crop for clover but it can limit your spraying options. As far as I know there's no herbicide that works for both, because chicory is not a legume.
That was my next question. Is there a spray that clover and chicory can both tolerate? Cleth?

Last edited:
WINA makes a mix called Fusion that's clover and chicory. I'm planting a small plot in a few weeks. I know the aversion to BOB seeds for some folks, but for small plots the convenience factor outweighs the cost for me and I've never had WINA seed disappoint.

Raptor. Clearcast is a cheaper alternative (same chemical). Both need surfactant and AMS added.

[QUOTE="JFH, post: but to control broadleaf competition regular mowing is the best plan.
Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum[/QUOTE]

JFH (post #12)...
Not necessarily. Yellow Rocket and Plantain are 2 varieties that aren't much effected by even the shortest of mowing. You could scalp dirt and not control some varieties.

Last edited:
I have overseeded or planted chicory in all my plots. Deer don't care much for the leaves for me but they anilate the stems and flowers especially mid summer thru fall. Great taproot to mine nutrients and drought tolerant. I have it mixed with all clovers and alfalfa and fallow fields. Dandelions a close second .

Back