Fastest growing nut producers?

I've had one SWO produce acorns in 3 years, but that's an exception. The big oaks I focus on are Bur, SWO and Chinkapin. One thing to remember is that abundance doesn't occur until the trees are large, so early acorns aren't significant. However, AC and DCO will produce in abundance in 3-4 years!
Yea, I wouldn't expect mass abundance that early but just something to get started with. If I could get a good, solid stand of mast producing trees within 10 years I would be happy.

You could get a stand of mast producing trees in 3-4 years. This is abundance!
Allegheny Chinkapin.

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak.

This is a Bur Oak I planted in 2008, that has produced acorns for the last 4-5 years! This Bur Oak is an exception, I have other trees that are larger that have yet to produce.

On the other hand, this is a Morse Nursery super duper hybrid oak planted in 2008. It's still not waist high!

So I know the DOF in Virginia sells AC's but they have them listed as limited quantity. What other nurseries carry them?

any of the state forestry services sell these quick producing trees bareroot? have looked at nursery prices and seem outrageous

The fastest growing nut producing tree I've ever planted has been a sawtooth oak....by far the easiest to grow as well...my experience.

I planted a tree plot similar to the one on the Wildlife Group's website behind my house. It has many different varieties of hard and soft mass trees grouped together with about an acre food plot in the middle. I planted the trees 6-7 years ago and also have several different trees planted in other areas on my farm some of which are 8 or 9 years old. This is in SE Va. I have a good variety including pears, crabapples, apples, persimmons, DCO, AC, hazlenuts, Chinese chestnuts and multiple varieties of oaks. It has been my observation that the best young trees by far have been the sawtooths and crabapples for early & heavy production, fast growth and attractiveness to deer. The AC's & DCO's have produced but not nearly as heavily as the sawtooths. I am hoping that I can get a handful of the chestnut trees to maturity as I have had several of them die after they were seemingly healthy 6-7 year old trees. I know the chestnuts are excellent but none of mine have produced yet and they are much more finicky than the sawtooths. If I were to do it over knowing what I know now, I would concentrate more on sawtooths and crabapples. Just my $0.02.

Horse
I planted a tree plot similar to the one on the Wildlife Group's website behind my house. It has many different varieties of hard and soft mass trees grouped together with about an acre food plot in the middle. I planted the trees 6-7 years ago and also have several different trees planted in other areas on my farm some of which are 8 or 9 years old. This is in SE Va. I have a good variety including pears, crabapples, apples, persimmons, DCO, AC, hazlenuts, Chinese chestnuts and multiple varieties of oaks. It has been my observation that the best young trees by far have been the sawtooths and crabapples for early & heavy production, fast growth and attractiveness to deer. The AC's & DCO's have produced but not nearly as heavily as the sawtooths. I am hoping that I can get a handful of the chestnut trees to maturity as I have had several of them die after they were seemingly healthy 6-7 year old trees. I know the chestnuts are excellent but none of mine have produced yet and they are much more finicky than the sawtooths. If I were to do it over knowing what I know now, I would concentrate more on sawtooths and crabapples. Just my $0.02.
Horseman, what varieties of crab apples have you had the most success with and where did you get them? Thanks

DrDirtNap,
I have Dolgo and Callaway crabapples and bought them from The Wildlife Group. They are small fruit but produce heavily every year including this year when frost knocked out all my pears, apples and Japanese persimmons. The deer love them and the fruit drops slowly until around Thanksgiving.

DrDirtNap,
I have Dolgo and Callaway crabapples and bought them from The Wildlife Group. They are small fruit but produce heavily every year including this year when frost knocked out all my pears, apples and Japanese persimmons. The deer love them and the fruit drops slowly until around Thanksgiving.
I have the same ones also from the Wildlife Group. They have been consistent producers. I really can't tell much difference between Dolgo and Calloway. Only knock I have against them is that the fruit tends to hang until it's rotting. I can shake the tree and drop the fruit but it really doesn't drop much on its own. That's my experience anyway.

Yes, both seem very similar. They drop slowly and over a long period of time. The ground is tore up under them as deer beat a path to these trees every night. I do have to shake the tree if I want a bunch of fruit to drop at one time and some will rot on the tree. I think these are originally ornamental trees so maybe that is why the fruit doesn't come off as well.

Back