Farmhunter's Deer Management and Property Improvements

Lots of work and effort...it’s nice to see it all together. Seems like you have food for days. What plantings are you using for screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of work and effort...it’s nice to see it all together. Seems like you have food for days. What plantings are you using for screen

I planted spruce/pine mix for the majot screen that separates the cabin from the main field. And then in the field I planted a Red pine/Larch dogleg that splits the field again and screens and is a travel corridor for the deer. For personal screening year to year I use corn since I'm planting it anyhow, It serves me very well.

couple plot updates - beans are finally coming on strong. What a year for corn. Planted a strip of red clover with chickry and a few turnip
- also got my turnip plot in last week - elkaddict I mixed in some rutabaga ! Starting to get a hit list together.
TlfhWq7.jpg
CuJAtCZ.jpg
wCugMRi.jpg
EKeOhMg.jpg
3DuX0u1.jpg
7hq0KDX.jpg
xNqq8yN.jpg

Rutabaga!!!! What !!! Is this some new deer food, JK. rutabaga from my experience is that 100 day plant like beets that deer hammer I want some input on what you all experience with rutabaga vs beets... pros cons

I can’t comment on beets but rutabagas have been outstanding for me. I mix 50/50 with Winfred brassicas. They’re fine planted mid July and will provide tons of forage. However, they do even better planted late June. Here’s an example of what they look like at 60 days.upload_2020-8-14_7-8-50.jpeg

I’ve never planted them sorry to high jack this post with a question... Looks like great volume in that pic... very cool info!

nice to see some bucks working the established field scrapes. This one is always early because it has a nice apple attraction - probably every buck that is local will show here in the next 4 weeks, learned a long time ago to open them up myself in August.
MHTRegyMdBg

my #1 buck gave me a good picture the other day. He's been just off the property all summer but maybe now the beans are doing their thing - he was on his way there here, through the red clover/rye planting. He was with a couple other nice bucks and a lot of does.

This is Tommy10, we've had at least a couple years with him.
CAedVSM.jpg

There is one bigger buck - a 9 point that we called Buddy8 last year - he's been elusive - I'm hoping to get some good pictures of him soon.

Back