Dugout

Over seeded all foodplots this weekend with winter wheat. Bush hogged, a little chainsaw work, and put out some more cameras. I put a trail camera over a turkey dusting spot; hope to get some video. Finished up the cabin, minus some drywall by the new door. Managed to fish, shoot, and hike with family. It was a very busy weekend.

We brought the dozer in again. Probably not the best idea, but the food plot acreage is up to 8 or so. Limed and planted in winter wheat. Trail system complete. We can drive around the farm without getting in the road if we choose. I look at as an investment in the future.

Place is looking good and when you find a deal on trees you have to take a chance. Hopefully your work pays off with another great story.....

Place is looking good and when you find a deal on trees you have to take a chance. Hopefully your work pays off with another great story.....
I would love for Grandpa and Dad to get one at farm this year. Honestly I expect more out of one of our leases than the Dugout. The work at the Dugout is for the future.

I would love for Grandpa and Dad to get one at farm this year. Honestly I expect more out of one of our leases than the Dugout. The work at the Dugout is for the future.

That's the way our "Home 10" was when we lived there. I did a lot of work on that place but with the pressure around us we never expected any real big deer and that is what our deer lease was for. I can't do much work at our lease due to not owning it but I can cut some dead trees, and brushhog whatever needs cleaning up so I would get my "habitat on" at the Home 10 and Hardcore hunt the deer lease up on the mountain in the big woods.

We bought our 80 that we can kill big deer on and that I can do a bunch of habitat work on so now we have it really good...

I expect Home 10 which has now increased in size to home 29 to really start being more productive since the open cattle pastures are converting to cover now so hopefully in the future we can have high hopes of killing bruisers there on a fairly consistent basis...for our grandsons...

It is reported that the wheat had great germination. I cannot wait to get back to farm. Going to make a few last minute stand adjustements and hopefully collect a few chestnuts. My mom is taking a large group of women there this weekend, so opening day of bow will be first chance at getting back. Probably won't hunt unless the weather is great. I'm behind on some things, but it is hard to keep up when you live 2 1/2 hours away.

Last edited:
Did you get some rain on the Dugout? Ive been doing good south of you, but west on the home 10 it is pretty dry.
Great look to the cabin. Those plots ought to be the ticket in that country.

Yes, I honestly think that we have received rain about every week this year. A neighbor's rain gauge was 40 inches when I last checked with him about a month ago. Foodplotting has been easy in that regard.

Back