Double A Farm NE Ohio

I took a 12 day motorcycle ride to visit some friends in Arkansas and Texas but here’s what was going on before I left.

My local big box store had a bunch of trees marked way down so I picked up a couple more apples, a couple Shumard oaks and a half dozen white pines.

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_5376.JPG

The giant miscanthus is taking off.

IMG_5377.JPG

I hung two new sets in the thicket at the north end of my farm. I’ve never attempted to hunt in here but pictures of regular deer movement back here over the years tells me I should be. The bedding is close to these but it’s so thick the deer won’t see or hear me if I’m careful. I plan on using these stands as a last resort if I can’t get in done early in any of the other corridors.

IMG_5371.JPGIMG_5369.JPGIMG_5368.JPGIMG_5366.JPG

I’m pretty excited to have multiple mature bucks hanging around this early. These are from the first week of June. They usually don’t start showing up until the end of August. I guess my work at providing for their year round needs is steadily improving. Here’s two of the better ones:

IMG_5392.JPGIMG_5393.JPGIMG_5395.JPG

Everything's looking good weasel! New setups appear to be overlooking some thick cover and should provide some good opportunities if you can get in undetected.

Best corn ever at my place thanks to all the guidance from my friend. Got it sprayed today, I’ll spread some urea during the next rain event. Can’t wait to see how the deer utilize the cover and food it will provide.

IMG_5686.JPG

IMG_5685.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5689.JPG

Got a few older trees cleaned up and a few that were planted this year caged, screened and weed blocked.

IMG_5693.JPGIMG_5692.JPGIMG_5695.JPG

Looking good Weasel. I would say in a few weeks that screen will be doing it's job very well. I bet the corn will be a hot spot for deer. Be sure to post up some more pictures later on of it.

I am really pleased with how everything was looking when I went up to spread urea before family vacation a week and a half ago.
akHzzME.jpg

Corn is doing great in my front field, urea should really help it finish strong
ciK8qsy.jpg

Can’t say enough about the RR alfalfa, probably the fastest I ever saw the deer take to a new plant on my place. Urea will boost it to the next level
9m1GR3n.jpg

Egyptian wheat (left) and hybrid sorghum will provide a super screen this fall, looking forward to seeing how high this application of urea will take it
9nxLvsW.jpg

Beans are a little slow this year but the weed competition is gone and they should be fine by hunting season
tkuLWTA.jpg

gXBtbwE.jpg

I’m thinking the ladies are liking the improvements I’ve made to the habitat
iv6O5U7.jpg

Still some growing time left for this guy, I’ll be keeping an eye on him
NeaRDpz.jpg

f0R20Js.jpg

mnHhUjr.jpg

Not sure if another doe is out of frame but if these are triplets, it’s the first set I’ve ever seen at my place
IF2IMOH.jpg

Looks like a great ride my friend. And u had some rain a s we did this year. Always great to escape on 2 wheels for a day or month.
Sometime when u want an overniter let me know and I’ll give u a few loops to make in wv on some knee dragging highways w hardly any traffic. But u can’t tell anyone. Have a good weekend. Thanks for the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks dogghr. It was a pretty epic ride. Only down side was catching that heat wave through Texas & Mexico then it followed me all the way home. But, that’s the trade off for being married to a teacher and having the time to do it over the summer. I stopped in Arkansas and caught up with a friend I have not seen in 10 years and also in Texas and spent a few days with a good buddy from PA who moved there for work a few years ago.

Living in SW PA allows me to enjoy lots of amazing rides through WV. I’d love to hear yours and see if they are any I have done before.

Great pictures Weasel. Looks like you covered a lot of ground and saw a lot of sights. Everything on your farm is looking good too.

Back