Does your wife roll her eyes or call you crazy

buckdeer1

How many of you get the words why are you planting another tree?You have a forest.Mine has said that,rolled her eyes and called me crazy.Then I remind her those deer don't just want to be there because she is in the stand.Strange thing is my oldest daughter has planted trees for 10 years with me and understands.

It's funny, my wife always rolls her eyes when a tree order is delivered to the house. Yet she can't walk by the fruit trees at the box store without looking for trees that have been marked down…haha

Well I am not able to plant trees because most of mine is leased ground but my wife has a lot of comments and eye rolls with my deer management / deer hunting in general. From a couple months of spring spent at the farms planting to October thru January being on the farms everyday whether hunting myself or running other hunters. I guess maybe she is right I may have a problem I am a deer woods addict.

As to the tree planting, no because I haven't been able to justify it yet. However, for needing tractors and implements and working crazy hours in the city so I can come to the farm and work day and night, yes. She sees the farm as where she comes to relax but where I come to work. However, increasingly, she's started to catch the vision and see the satisfaction of habitat development and is starting to see natural beauty without it needing to be pointed out. Just this morning, as we toured our place, she thanked me repeatedly for the sacrifice in making my obsession become so an important part of our family. Every weekend, she asks what we can do to prepare the farm for our yet to be born grandpups so it's their favorite place. From obsessed/crazy to hero in a couple years makes me smile.

As to the tree planting, no because I haven't been able to justify it yet. However, for needing tractors and implements and working crazy hours in the city so I can come to the farm and work day and night, yes. She sees the farm as where she comes to relax but where I come to work. However, increasingly, she's started to catch the vision and see the satisfaction of habitat development and is starting to see natural beauty without it needing to be pointed out. Just this morning, as we toured our place, she thanked me repeatedly for the sacrifice in making my obsession become so an important part of our family. Every weekend, she asks what we can do to prepare the farm for our yet to be born grandpups so it's their favorite place. From obsessed/crazy to hero in a couple years makes me smile.

Some people dont understand that some things they see as work are actually very relaxing and enjoyable to the rest of us. I cant stand to set still for long, I am always "working" on something.

I will tell you that after doing this sort of work long enough.....they don't even waste the effort any more! They simply accept that your crazy and realize there is far worse things you could be spending your money on or wasting your time with.

I tell my wife, "You know where I am, you know what I am doing.....would you rather me be out gambling, smoking, drinking or chase'n women?"

The only thing I do is I try to keep the spending under control and I discuss any significant purchases in advance. She hasn't even balked at paying for mounts!

She's pretty much on board with it all. She sees how happy it makes me and that's all she needs.
I do push my luck every spring when we have our annual tree planting day. We usually put in 500 pines/spruces together in a day. I work the dibble bar, she places the seedlings so she's standing up/bending down 500 times. We both feel that at the end of the day.

Surprisingly there was no eye roll from wife Anne when this delivery pulled into the yard. I guess when I told her just the ones on the trailer were for us and not the one on the truck she was relieved.
DSC_8266a.jpg

But I did sense a half of an eye roll when The Staples trucks pulled in and left off these shown in the next picture.

DSC_8279a.jpg
Anne probably had thought she would be putting them together like she had the first bunch because when I told her I had help coming for that she was happy.

How many Rednecks does that make now? Is the back one a buck palace? I could use another but am having a hard time rationalizing it:)

How many Rednecks does that make now? Is the back one a buck palace? I could use another but am having a hard time rationalizing it:)

They are all 5 x 6 crossover predators; I thought the 6x6's would be too large to watch all around. Also in the shipment were some soft side blinds;glad we tried them. They were a pleasure to hunt out of and so easy to put up. There were some heavy heavy winds a couple of nights in early December as well as a heavy snow but they held up just fine.My hunting buddy kicked in so it eased the financial part a bit.

Last edited:
I'm a real fan of the crossovers...right size most of the time and the corner windows really make a difference. We also have a magnum which for our 6 acre destination plot is great. Although not ideal for archery shots (we rarely have them from this spot) it is perfect for rifle and MZ. The crossovers were also notably easier to put up.

Back