Disappointed in D&DH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullwinkle

Did anyone else see the article on Texas Heart Shots being an ethical shot with a bow!!!

I can't believe they published that.

Encourages people with the right skills to ham shoot deer aiming for artery. I think he took a 30 yard shot purposely in the rear end with a xbow

After the shot he immediately got on the trail and walked up on it with no blood over 100 yards away if I remember correctly

The premier deer hunting magazine in the country in my opinion published this garbage. They must really be hurting for material

Hope Steve B has the guts to write a rebuttal article and correct this.

I was always told a Texas heart shot is in the anus, from a position directly behind the animal, with the projectile traveling through the intestines and ending up in the heart. Hence"Texas Heart Shot" Addendum; not a shot I could endorse either way.

Last edited:
I have never heard the term at all. I know some folks talk about the femoral artery and why I don't know. If you can't get a shot at the heart/lungs what makes you think your going to hit an artery? Most folks couldn't walk up to the deer and stab it in that artery much less hit it with a bow at 30 yards. Folks value the trophy more than the ethical shot is the problem.....and that's because of the crap these rags promote the hype of the trophy above all else.

I didn't see the article.....haven't read a mainstream glossy hunting rag in years. Too many adds, not enough content. Does far more harm than good in most cases regarding hunting, fishing and the outdoors by making it all about image and competition vs just enjoying it and having fun in my opinion.

I also see no point in putting Steve on the spot. You bought the magazine - quit buying it. Tell them why your pissed. Just also keep in mind that the Editor determines what gets published and what doesn't. So even if Steve did have a rebuttal.....you may never see it in D&DH. Steve can agree, disagree or just keep his mouth shut and walk away. Not fair to Steve to drag him into this. He didn't do it.

I have never heard the term at all. I know some folks talk about the femoral artery and why I don't know. If you can't get a shot at the heart/lungs what makes you think your going to hit an artery? Most folks couldn't walk up to the deer and stab it in that artery much less hit it with a bow at 30 yards. Folks value the trophy more than the ethical shot is the problem.....and that's because of the crap these rags promote the hype of the trophy above all else.

I didn't see the article.....haven't read a mainstream glossy hunting rag in years. Too many adds, not enough content. Does far more harm than good in most cases regarding hunting, fishing and the outdoors by making it all about image and competition vs just enjoying it and having fun in my opinion.

I also see no point in putting Steve on the spot. You bought the magazine - quit buying it. Tell them why your pissed. Just also keep in mind that the Editor determines what gets published and what doesn't. So even if Steve did have a rebuttal.....you may never see it in D&DH. Steve can agree, disagree or just keep his mouth shut and walk away. Not fair to Steve to drag him into this. He didn't do it.
Bull. Steve's their main man. Failure to stand up for principles tells you a lot about an individual. Would you work for a place that does unethical things? Not if your a man of principle or desperate I guess

Read the article. They got a picture of the hit in the but saying it's a great shot. No lie

Bull. Steve's their main man. Failure to stand up for principles tells you a lot about an individual. Would you work for a place that does unethical things? Not if your a man of principle or desperate I guess

Read the article. They got a picture of the hit in the but saying it's a great shot. No lie

Bull - The world isn't as black and white as that and you know it! You want to question a man's principles.....question the Editor's he published the crap! Not Steve!!!!

I'm done here.......

I was given a gift subscription a few years back. I started getting renewal/expiration notices before I received the first issue. I emailed the editor and told him I didn't like the high pressure tactics and waste of paper and this was the reason I let my previous subscription lapse in the first place. I told him I wanted one notice when my subscription was actually going to expire. He responded and that is the way it went. I would email him and let him know what you think. You as a customer aren't less responsible then Steve as a contributor.

Maybe I am expecting to much from Steve. I thought he was a pro staffer but you're right he contributes to this magazine. He must support D&DH contributing to it but he's not a leader from his title?

11988e7a8b9108b61f1be4b16b487288.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted Nugent is a Michigander, he is the loudest common sense voice we seem to have as outdoorsman as on the edge over 'over the line' he is. I respect him but thats to each their own.

If you work for a place that writes a stupid article supporting something you don't believe in doesn't mean you support their stance or the person that wrote it.

I'm a very black & white person, right or wrong seems clear to me, however guilty by association doesn't apple here, your handle fits you well bull.

Last edited:
Ted Nugent is a lunatic and there is nothing common sense about him. I had never heard of him before his column started in D&DH....that was summer of '97. I could tell from the first column that he was a nut and that was the beginning of the long sad tragic downfall of what used to be the greatest outdoors magazine.
But D&DH really went down the toilet when the current editor took over. His profit motive crosses the line of ethics in journalism as far as I am concerned: promoting products for profit while passing it off as content rather than advertising. Also, most of the staff writers also write "articles" for the Whitetail Institute publication, which it is telling and concerning. Huge loss of respect for that magazine.

Ya, we as Michiganders have a well known reputation for being a tight knit bunch.

I know since my prescription ran out I missed the D$DH Fall From Grace, Lee Laskosky cover story.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back