Diesel Pump Sprung a leak!

cutman

Administrator
Staff member
I went to fill up the tractor the other day from my diesel tank on the farm, and diesel started shooting out of this little black valve thing all over the place. It made a huge mess. I assume it's a pressure/relief valve of some sort, which means something is clogged up. Any idea how to go about fixing it?

0771dde22dbeba78da70429f6ea088c8.jpg

Model number:

7407ba94da4d14673bc49d5d8ba69159.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Anti-Siphon Valves
Anti-siphon valves are used in suction pipes or at submersible pump discharge pipes to prevent siphon flow from the tank to a lower elevation discharge. Standard anti-siphon valves are spring loaded angle check valves, with the spring sized to resist the static siphon head – typically 5-20 feet of static head. When flow is required, force from the suction pump or submersible pump overcomes the spring force to allow flow. An alternative is to use a normally closed solenoid valve that opens when the pump is activated. The solenoid valve can be less problematic on suction pump applications where the suction pipe characteristics have already placed a significant load on the pump.

Thanks again for your help. Stopped at Tractor Supply and they got on the phone with the manufacturer. A replacement part is on the way and we all now know more about anti-siphon valves.

The conclusion: the valve was not broken, it was just loose. The black, rounded part of the valve visible in my picture is just a cap. Once popped off, I was able to tighten the valve with a penny. Good as new. No idea how it got loose in the first place.

Glad you got it fixed. I learned something also I knew the cap was just for venting but I assumed that it was a non adjustable pressure setting and the diaphragm was leaking. My bad for assuming and not telling you about the vent cap.

Back