Coyote Lotto

Crimson n' Camo

I read where South Carolina is implementing a bounty system on coyotes. Apparently their gonna capture, tag, and release 12 yotes across the state. If a hunter kills one of the tagged yotes then they win a $1000. Their hoping it will encourage folks to shoot more. What do you guys think about a program such as this? Will it have an impact? I know lots of folks here in my home state preach that we should be shooting everyone we see. Opinions?

http://www.thestate.com/news/politi...s-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article67816142.html

Woah woah woah. My great state of South Carolina actually had a good management idea?! Is there a pigs flying emoji?

Not sure about that. I understand the concept, but not sure $1000 chance at 12 coyotes over an entire state is gonna get many people motivated. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna shoot them when I get a chance, but those chances/$$ wouldn't make a difference if I wasn't already planning on shooting.

If they are serious about killing some yotes, how about paying a bounty per coyote turned in. $100/per coyote??? Now that would get some interest. :D

Won't change much. A lot of western states have put bounties on coyotes over the years, care to guess how many still have coyotes?

Won't change much. A lot of western states have put bounties on coyotes over the years, care to guess how many still have coyotes?

Take some good ol' boy South Carolina rednecks out west and see if that makes a difference. :)

Have had bounty in adjacent county for 25+ years. Has had very little affect if any. Much more complicated than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though it won't probably make much difference, at least your state is trying to help with a problem. I don't think the state of Illinois even acknowledges that we have coyotes! I know that they have denied we had bobcats for years but now we are getting a season on them because they are all over. I don't expect to ever see a bounty in Illinois... we are paying both state workers and lottery winners with IOU's right now......

I haven't read this Dan Flores' book yet but the podcast was extremely interesting. Discussed how coyotes have been managed in the past and studies (scientific not feelings) of what harvesting coyotes does to the population. It's worth a download. I will do a book report when I get around to ordering it.

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/episode-033/

Enjoy bringing up that conversation, E. I've been there before and its dangerous ground. I've read nearly every study done across the nation for the last 30 years when they first moved into my area. I'll enjoy your report.

Yep I know. Everybody hates a coyote. Don't get me wrong I have shot a lot and trapped quite a few. My deer have lived with coyotes for as long as there has been coyotes. In my area I am sure they eat some fawns, but I bet they eat a lot more mice, rats, and rabbits - so my tree plantings like them. The best way to save fawns is increased fawning cover, not removing the coyote. I love hunting coyotes. The same methods that were used to extirpate the wolves were used on coyotes and there are more now than then! You have to respect an animal with that kind of survival instinct. Dangerous ground for the forum I agree - but again Science vs. Feelings.

IMG_1062.jpg

Yep I know. Everybody hates a coyote. Don't get me wrong I have shot a lot and trapped quite a few. My deer have lived with coyotes for as long as there has been coyotes. In my area I am sure they eat some fawns, but I bet they eat a lot more mice, rats, and rabbits - so my tree plantings like them. The best way to save fawns is increased fawning cover, not removing the coyote. I love hunting coyotes. The same methods that were used to extirpate the wolves were used on coyotes and there are more now than then! You have to respect an animal with that kind of survival instinct. Dangerous ground for the forum I agree - but again Science vs. Feelings.

IMG_1062.jpg
Enjoy bringing up that conversation, E. I've been there before and its dangerous ground. I've read nearly every study done across the nation for the last 30 years when they first moved into my area. I'll enjoy your report.

I read where South Carolina is implementing a bounty system on coyotes. Apparently their gonna capture, tag, and release 12 yotes across the state. If a hunter kills one of the tagged yotes then they win a $1000. Their hoping it will encourage folks to shoot more. What do you guys think about a program such as this? Will it have an impact? I know lots of folks here in my home state preach that we should be shooting everyone we see. Opinions?

http://www.thestate.com/news/politi...s-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article67816142.html

I sent this to a long time friend and avid hunter for his opinion: Thanks for the explanation, just what I suspected. The rapidly growing Whitetail Deer hunting mania phenomenon is out of control with a continual demand for more deer even though their current population already represents an environmental problem. You can see it in so many ways. In our lifetime we have seen the dramatic changes from the days when if one of our friends killed a "4 Pointer", or even if he killed a Deer, period, we would visit, have a beer and offer our congrtulations. Today, even teen age girls and boys are routinely killing adult Bucks. I personally know of hunters who kill 6 Deer in a Season. An "8 Pointer" is no longer longer considered a trophy. Men, who cannot afford it, spend family money to go to places where they can kill "a really big Buck" even though its done from a tower over baited fields and a carefully managed Deer herd. I've come to the conclusion that the seemingly fast growing number of new Deer hunters is attributable to the fact that it is so easy to get one, two, three, four or more in one season. And, in many cases these are people with little or no woodsmanship. Add to this the enormous lobbying influence the Deer Industrial Complex has with States from their Governors on down so they can sell night scopes, cameras, scent, clothes, bows, cross-bows, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, videos, seed and plants to bait deer, drones, blinds, RVs, blinds, boots and on and on and on. And the States are competing to offer longer and longer Seasons with more liberal limits to attract their fair share of license fees. The idea of a traditional Deer hunt our Grandparents and Parents experienced with a 30/30 and "open sights", a pair of Bean Rubber Bottom boots(guaranteed to freeze your feet by 8:00 AM) and your handed down twenty pound Woolrich coat with a sandwich and "thermos"( guaranteed to provide ice cold coffee) alone in the woods without benefit of Rv would be unthinkable to many of todays Deer hunters, particularly if they knew the chances of even seeing a Deer all day, or maybe all week, were slim to none. And now it's still not good enough. We want more Deer. Let's kill all the Coyotes. And, we don't spend 2 cents on other Wildlife. Grouse are becoming practically extinct in Southern Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass. and Ct. And for the relatively few remaining Upland hunters, it is sad that they are unable to spend a day in the Grouse Woods without the great fear their beloved dog might be caught in a Coyote trap and never found. But, it's still not good enough. Even though Deer Biologists agree we have too many Deer, we are now going to put a bounty on Coyotes, and don't for a minute think this practice will stay in s. Carolina

I think bounties on coyotes is far from a new thing, they have been having coyote hunting tournaments for ages as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back