Corn Variety Recommendations

RGrizzzz

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to selecting a corn variety for wildlife? Corn will be planted in 17771. pH is right around 7. It will be efenced, and drilled into crimped rye. Since the plot will be less than an acre, will likely plant with higher than recommended population.

@Mennoniteman, anyone else? Have any thoughts on corn varieties? Not looking to break the bank on some high priced version, but willing to spend for something worth it.

@Mennoniteman, anyone else? Have any thoughts on corn varieties? Not looking to break the bank on some high priced version, but willing to spend for something worth it.

You need to ask your local coop or a farmer. Corn varieties differ so much around the country. We grow 100+ day corn in SC with good drought tolerance. You’re most likely looking for 90 day corn without all the expensive traits.

This is what I'm planting this year, I planted almost the same number last year and it outperformed the Pioneer seed that I had been planting. Around 113 day has been the magic number for me. This is pretty nice corn considering that it was a very dry summer, almost a drought year.
20230327_170740.jpg

Last edited:
I called a local seed company this year. I was shocked at how much time they were willing to spend talking to me about a 3.5 acre bean plot. I described the equipment I had available, size of the plot, plans for the fall, cover crop ideas for after bean maturity, and even my possibilities for next year. The fella and I have talked several times totaling well over 3 hours for a $250 order. You’d be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a recommendation from a local seed company, based on the soil test I shared. I always like more than one opinion, especially if the first is a salesman.

Back