High deer density seeding rates

RGrizzzz

Administrator
Staff member
It's about time to drill our fall food plots. Our area tends to be on the higher send of deer density in north central PA. We're going to go with a mix of rye/wheat/oats with a bit of bucketwheat and brassicas mixed in for diversity. Historically when we're planted cereal grains, they pretty much get mowed down to below lip high when it gets cold in the fall, and in the early spring. Most of what I'm seeing recommends seeding cereals up to 120lbs/acre. We have enough seed to go heavier than that. I was leaning towards closer to 150lbs/acre. Does anyone see any issue with that, or should we go even higher? I'd really like to get some growth back in the early spring to crimp ahead of the spring plots, and maybe even a little corn.

EDIT: The neighbor with significantly bigger plots recently complained that the deer hammer his rye plots too.

Last edited:
I think LC suggestion was 150-200#. Remember if you doing no till too much thatch can be detrimental to the subsequent planting. Thus why I do grains at 50#/ac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think LC suggestion was 150-200#. Remember if you doing no till too much thatch can be detrimental to the subsequent planting. Thus why I do grains at 50#/ac

Drilled or broadcasted?

too many plants crowd each other out. If you want tonnage for the winter, then brassica is key. I planted 50# per acre total, rye and wheat. Me, broadcast.

G

I find 150lbs is about right. I broadcast cereal rye or triticale, go heavy with clover and chicory, and when I have extra, throw out any left over brassicas. Grains are pounded until 10” or more of snow piles up, and in April, when our green up begins, every deer on the mountain is in the plots. As soon as the grain heads develop, I mow high to provide added shade for the clover/chicory.

It's about time to drill our fall food plots. Our area tends to be on the higher send of deer density in north central PA. We're going to go with a mix of rye/wheat/oats with a bit of bucketwheat and brassicas mixed in for diversity. Historically when we're planted cereal grains, they pretty much get mowed down to below lip high when it gets cold in the fall, and in the early spring. Most of what I'm seeing recommends seeding cereals up to 120lbs/acre. We have enough seed to go heavier than that. I was leaning towards closer to 150lbs/acre. Does anyone see any issue with that, or should we go even higher? I'd really like to get some growth back in the early spring to crimp ahead of the spring plots, and maybe even a little corn.

EDIT: The neighbor with significantly bigger plots recently complained that the deer hammer his rye plots too.
That's an awesome problem to have, because those are easy forages to grow. I'd drop the wheat out of that blend completely. For tonnage concerns, the winter cereals cannot compete with spring cereals. I'd do 1 bushel of rye. It should compensate by sending up more tillers in the spring vs a heavier rate with fewer tillers. Some cover cropping farmers go as low as 30 lbs/ac of rye and still roll.

Then I'd pony up for spring forage oats. They're gonna get taller, have wider leaves, and give you a larger window between max tonnage and when it wants to turn and lignify. Oats are driven by heat units, and a spring planted forage oat will mature about ten days later than an early oat. In the fall when heat units are far lower, that expands by quite a bit leaving you more room to get it wrong and still land in the strike zone.

I've been chasing this for years with various forages. I've gotten oats up to 24 inches and watched deer pull up the entire plant and eat the leaves, stem, roots and dirt. I'm still chasing it. This isn't my picture, but it is my goal.

Everleaf-Forage-Oats.jpg

I find 150lbs is about right. I broadcast cereal rye or triticale, go heavy with clover and chicory, and when I have extra, throw out any left over brassicas. Grains are pounded until 10” or more of snow piles up, and in April, when our green up begins, every deer on the mountain is in the plots. As soon as the grain heads develop, I mow high to provide added shade for the clover/chicory.

and what is your grain seed rate in all of those beautiful acres of brassica that you grow for fall and winter attraction?

G

Back