Concordia Oaks

Neglected East Texas Concordia Oak. Had to cut the vines off of it and there is a tree 15ft from it with vines encroaching I’ll have to kill or cut once it cools off.. Regardless, these trees are pretty tough & vigorous once the get going
5dbfb6829af59179920856362ac3c40b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look great! Planning to transplant on your hunting property once they get up in size?

Yes most will go where we hunt with a tree tube but I may plant another here at the house. They make really nice trees if you can keep them from bushing out like a DCO. I have a red oak on my property that really needs to be cut down as it was planted underneath a power line and the electric company keeps coming by and topping the tree once it gets tall enough to interfere with the power lines. I’m thinking about telling them just to cut the whole thing down next time they come out to top it and I’ll replace it with a Concordia placed over away from the power line so it doesn’t interfere with it.

Matt

I was able to acquire a few acorns from a Concordia oak several days ago. I did the float test to check for viable acorns. What is the best way to store them? I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to store them? Refrigerator? Plant them in rootmaker pots now? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I was able to acquire a few acorns from a Concordia oak several days ago. I did the float test to check for viable acorns. What is the best way to store them? I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to store them? Refrigerator? Plant them in rootmaker pots now? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

This article gives you a good overview of what to do with them.

I just store mine rolled up inside a damp (not soaking wet) piece of paper towel in a ziplock bag with the air squeezed out. Place in the refrigerator. Since they are a white oak they will begin to germinate in the refrigerator at some point. Keep them as cool as possible but make sure they do not freeze. You can hold them like this in the refrigerator until spring when you are ready to plant. Was 100% successful doing it this way with my Concordias last year. All nuts germinated and all produced seedlings.

Updating an old thread…

They’re falling… won’t know how many I’ll have for a few weeks. Looks to be a very small crop this year due to the lack of rain in August with 100 degree temps most days.

12534bfb096530f1569358936917d1f9.jpg

aa9905675379489c24cec1487672935c.jpg

b00d55d95edcf01ff7668d1af4b30fe5.jpg

Anyone have any Concordia acorns available this year? I tried to order through MDC but as usual they were sold out by the time I remembered to order.

Back