Clover and chicory “test”

chbarnha

Today I frost seeded 3 clover and chicory blends in areas of my plot or close to it. All receive the same amount of sun and we have 3 days of rain coming followed by another cold snap. These three varieties were Whitetail Institute Fusion and clover, Stratton Seed Revival, and Domain Hot chic. I did this to see which one gives me the best result for future plantings. Has anybody tried any of these and what was your experience?
Hoping all three do well but I’m sure one will do better. We will have to see.
18e9dae7040904a9853c53290714d8e1.jpg

f7b9f663b2dd52181af984e9d0976935.jpg

c274b086784919873383813977d6e13e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot-Chic seed label
049df82295bce9656ec1a0d8ea609bec.jpg

Stratton Seed Revival seed label
3c44d55bbb5c31b336d7904d0d378c67.jpg

I threw away the Whitetail Institute Fusion and clover bags but I figure most people know what are in them.

Yeah I noticed that that was very high, ordering off line without seeing a seed label. It is what it is I guess and we will see what it does.

40% inert matter on the Stratton seed. Brutal!

Paying premium prices for 40% inert matter is nuts. You might download the Welter Seed catalog and look at creating your own mixes. They’ll mix and bag separately for a couple dollars. Every year, I have them mix 5lbs of white (I generally use Ladino) and one lb of chicory. I typically order 5 or more of these each year. I then mix with MRC I buy in bulk locally. I intentionally seed heavy with clover as I’ve found it helps keep weeds down. It is far cheaper than buying it premixed from the bob (buck on bag) vendors. FWIW, I’ve tried multiple varieties of chicory and can’t discern a difference.

I just did this as an experiment and they didn’t have a seed label on their website. I just sent them an email asking them why the inert matter was so high. I guess we will see what they have to say.

Paying premium prices for 40% inert matter is nuts. You might download the Welter Seed catalog and look at creating your own mixes. They’ll mix and bag separately for a couple dollars. Every year, I have them mix 5lbs of white (I generally use Ladino) and one lb of chicory. I typically order 5 or more of these each year. I then mix with MRC I buy in bulk locally. I intentionally seed heavy with clover as I’ve found it helps keep weeds down. It is far cheaper than buying it premixed from the bob (buck on bag) vendors. FWIW, I’ve tried multiple varieties of chicory and can’t discern a difference.

Are those inoculated and coated? That's what a lot of "inert" matter is. I'll pay a premium to keep from having to do that!

My favorite brand of ladino seed has a gray innoculant and fertilizer coating that is 33% of the total weight of the bag. It seems like a ripoff at first, but my experience with it is that when I plant top quality coated seed, even if conditions aren't quite right it seems like every seed grows, vs planting VNS seed and having poor germination rates if the planting conditions aren't optimal. After much trial and error, my opinion of the expensive coated seeds has changed, for a crop like ladino that's difficult to start in the first place, I have decided that it is worth the extra expense.
When planting easy to grow species like oats and rye is when I buy the cheapest seeds that I can find.

My favorite brand of ladino seed has a gray innoculant and fertilizer coating that is 33% of the total weight of the bag. It seems like a ripoff at first, but my experience with it is that when I plant top quality coated seed, even if conditions aren't quite right it seems like every seed grows, vs planting VNS seed and having poor germination rates if the planting conditions aren't optimal. After much trial and error, my opinion of the expensive coated seeds has changed, for a crop like ladino that's difficult to start in the first place, I have decided that it is worth the extra expense.
When planting easy to grow species like oats and rye is when I buy the cheapest seeds that I can find.

This seed has a grey almost gritty coating on it. Sounds almost like the same thing you are talking about.

This seed has a grey almost gritty coating on it. Sounds almost like the same thing you are talking about.

Yes, and it's well applied, there's never any loose dust in the bag. And quality clover and chicory seeds are usually guaranteed 100% weed free.

Yes they are, so that probably is a lot of it.
I'm not a seed label law/rules expert, but coating material is usually labeled as such. The "Hot Chic" does so. Odd that this doesn't, but glad you're not paying for 40% "dust".

Historically, one of the possible arguments for buying these types of mixes (commonly referred to as BOB) is that you usually get improved strains rather than just VNS seed. Not the case here.

Historically, one of the possible arguments for buying these types of mixes (commonly referred to as BOB) is that you usually get improved strains rather than just VNS seed. Not the case here.

Totally depends on the source.

Durana vs Ladino clover

In turgrasses.. TifTuff or TifEagle vs Common Bermudagrass there’s profound differences.

Some varieties are better for forage, drought resistance etc... You’ve got to do your due diligence though

Back