Clover Blends

Long Cut

I’m in Central Georgia with limited food plotting equipment aside from a zero turn mower, push & shoulder spreaders, backpack sprayers and various other landscaping equipment.. but no tractor.

I have roughly 2.75 acres of established and planted food plots on 2 properties. All planted in blends of Durana, Patriot, Aberlasting, Freedom Red, Crimson, Berseem and Mammoth clovers. I’m rotating plantings of oats and brassicas amongst them.

My question is, what 3-4 clover varieties are your sure-fire go to’s that work best for you?

This being my first year food plotting, I’m anticipating having to overseed in the winter/spring to suppress summer weeds and would like to have a general gameplan in place. Ideally I’d like to utilize a 3-4 clover variety blend as my “backbone” then broadcast into them in the fall.

Thanks for your time.

I am in Dooly and Houston county, I would recommend you do a white( durrana, ladino, or IWC), a crimson clover, medium red, and yuchi arrowleaf. They will all grow fairly well.

I’m hunting Meriwether and Pike mainly. Durana has been my favorite along with Crimson but I’d like to expand some as well.
This rain has been making things easy, if the seeds already in the ground.

I have a tractor but don’t bother getting it out anymore for food plots. You won’t be handicapped using a lawn mower and spray tank in the back of a pickup truck.

With that said, I do highly recommend a premium medium red mixed in with whatever white clover you use. Ask at your local Farm Services Agency which variety of medium red that has proven itself for cattle in your area and go with that one.

One final thing - I personally think it is a travesty to plant clover without adding chicory, but to each his own opinion on that. Good luck.

I have a tractor but don’t bother getting it out anymore for food plots. You won’t be handicapped using a lawn mower and spray tank in the back of a pickup truck.

With that said, I do highly recommend a premium medium red mixed in with whatever white clover you use. Ask at your local Farm Services Agency which variety of medium red that has proven itself for cattle in your area and go with that one.

One final thing - I personally think it is a travesty to plant clover without adding chicory, but to each his own opinion on that. Good luck.

What’s your opinion on blending chicory with oats and or brassicas/turnips/rape in a clover plot?

I’m not sure what planting ratios would hit that sweet spot of nitrogen utilization, but won’t overcrowd and choke each other out, but still provides attraction/nutrition as long as possible.

What’s your opinion on blending chicory with oats and or brassicas/turnips/rape in a clover plot?

I’m not sure what planting ratios would hit that sweet spot of nitrogen utilization, but won’t overcrowd and choke each other out, but still provides attraction/nutrition as long as possible.

I'm a strong believer in doing that. Once you get a clover and chicory plot established, I also like coming back in the fall and overseeding with more oats and brassicas. You can spread lightly over the whole plot but also hit a little harder any places you may have killed grasses earlier in the year with Cleth.

For starting a first time plot from scratch. Below is what I have used that worked good for me. You just don't want the grains and brassicas so thick that they completely choke out the chicory and clover the first fall:

Per Acre:
Chicory - 3 lbs
White Clover of your choice - 5 lbs
A Premium Red Clover - 7 lbs
Grains - 40 lbs
Brassicas - 1.5 lbs

Note: if your deer really pound brassicas you could go heavier on them. Mine just nibble a little.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I’m in Madison County, GA. Though I plant other varieties just because I like to grow things, I have never found any reason to use anything other than Durana. I have even planted it in Kansas with awesome results.

Back