Cellular Trail Camera?

OkieKubota

Staff member
I am looking into buying a couple of cellular trail cameras and would like to know what you guys have seen as the best bang for the buck for AT&T service and Iphone compatibility?

I use Moultrie. I’ve had a few minor issues that tended to be related to updates and restarting my phone fixed it. You can also go through their website and access your photos. We use Spypoint and the lease and it does great also. Both have the option of identifying things that it makes photos of(ie- buck, doe, turkey, person, vehicle, etc). You can also categorize animals based on their racks, but that is a manual option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a Spypoint running constantly since they released them in April 2019. I haven't had any problems. I just use the 100 picture per month free plan. If you use them on a very active type situation, you would probably want one of the higher plans. I've seen some complaints with them, but I've had a good experience with mine.

I have two Spartans. If you want pictures in the app and the ability to make adjustments remotely it’s 36 dollars extra a year. I’m having an issue now with my newer model and it’s going back to be worked on.

Full disclosure, I’m a Reconyx fan. They are expensive compared to most but I like the reliability. With that said, I have there cell cams and I am very pleased with there performance. A set of batteries have lasted 5 months from Dec-May and have literally taken tens of thousands of pics. Some months taking 6000-8000 pics. Works very well with AT&T but I have a cell tower at the top of the hill above me and I can see part of the tower from most of my farm but the closer you get to the tower the worse the signal is and that actually is common. I have mine set on batch mode which will send pics twice a day at whatever time you decide but the second batch sends 12 hours after the first batch sends but they have several different setting and you can get instant notifications if that’s what you want but they say this will shorten battery life.

I will make a note here. When you buy a cell camera, you choose Verizon or AT&T(there is another, but it isn’t as prevalent). It doesn’t matter who you currently use, you pay the company who makes the camera for the service. If you have Verizon, but get better service with AT&T where ever you are gonna put the camera, use it or vice versa. If both services provide great cell signal, then choose the one you like the best.

2 SPYPOINT (link darks $$$$ )going on their 4th year flawless. 3 SPYPOINT micros($) sittin on shelf in garage. 4 MoultrieMobile been out almost 2 years with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

surprised the browning hasn't gotten any attention here....i have spypoints cell and seems to work pretty good and get decent service, when batteries started going i ran itno stretch of like 2-3 weeks wondering why it was only sending 1 photo (vs setting of 2), fresh batteries and back to normal.

The browning is rated #1 on trailcampros website for all cell cams and very reasonable price of $199. Tactacam didn't' even make top 10. I have one and like all my "normal" cams will be switching my cell cams to browning going forward.

I have two spy points (one for 2 seasons and one I bought last summer). I’ve been pretty happy with them. They work great over scrapes and salt licks but not great trigger speed if you are trying to put them on a trail or something. Also, the resolution is not great on the mobile app, but I was very pleased at the quality of pics on the actual memory card on the camera when I pulled them.

I run cuddelink for most of my cameras. One monthly cell plan for up to 24 cameras and you only have to have one camera with cell service - which works well at my place with over half my property with no service. But, I also need a few cell cams for instant pics for hog hunting and would really like to pick up a few tactacams - but out of stock everywhere

The Tactacam Reveal, and Reveal X's simply cannot be beat for the price from my experience.

I currently have 8 of each and they work as well if not better than cameras that cost 4 times as much.

IF you can find some you won't be disappointed.

The Tactacam Reveal, and Reveal X's simply cannot be beat for the price from my experience.

I currently have 8 of each and they work as well if not better than cameras that cost 4 times as much.

IF you can find some you won't be disappointed.

I am just curious why you chose to go with multiple cell cams and the corresponding cell plans that go with them as opposed to the cuddelink system and one cell plan. I do understand the cuddelink system does not work everywhere for everyone.

I am just curious why you chose to go with multiple cell cams and the corresponding cell plans that go with them as opposed to the cuddelink system and one cell plan. I do understand the cuddelink system does not work everywhere for everyone.

With the cost of the Cuddelink system I can run at least 8 Tactacam Reveal cams.

The Reveals are truly an amazing camera for the price. Even if they weren't cell enabled they would still be one of the top game cameras.

For me, the Cuddelink system just missed too many animals. I'd get 10 pics on it, for every 100 I'd get on a Browning hanging in the same location. The Tactacam also have better detection range and better flash quality, as well as longer life on AA batteries, I really disliked the D batteries. I really wanted the Cudde to work for me, and it's a great concept, but long term it fell short.

For me, the Cuddelink system just missed too many animals. I'd get 10 pics on it, for every 100 I'd get on a Browning hanging in the same location. The Tactacam also have better detection range and better flash quality, as well as longer life on AA batteries, I really disliked the D batteries. I really wanted the Cudde to work for me, and it's a great concept, but long term it fell short.

no doubt, the short life D cell batteries is the biggest disappointment for me. However, the cuddelink system has worked pretty well for me. I think about $120 per year total to run my ten cameras - and over 2/3’s of my ground has zero cell service - so I can daisy chain those cameras to the one that has service. I see where ten tactacams would cost about $1000 per year for the monthly plans. I had trouble with missing pictures with the cuddelink until I really started working with aiming the camera. The cuddelink system is not a throw and go where you just strap a camera to a tree, turn it on, and walk away. I was a little frustrated at first - about hung it up - but now count me as a fairly satisfied customer. If they get that battery life improved - I would be completely satisfied. The cuddelink cameras are almost twice as much as the tactacams. But, in the end, it is all a moot point for me since cell cams would work very few places on my property

I’m partial to the Covert Code Blacks. Been using them since they came out several years ago and have slowly continued to upgrade cams over time as newer models have come out. I run four of them. All have solar panel\external batteries on them. They stay out 24/7/365 and aside from the occasional bad battery (once a year maybe) or a coon decides to play with your camera and pulls the battery cable loose they just work. With the solar setup these cams never need the internal batteries replaced. They are more expensive than other cell cams out there but I keep going back to Covert based on my experience with them in the past. And just for the record I do not work for them in any way nor am I a pro staffer just a satisfied customer.

Matt

I’m partial to the Covert Code Blacks. Been using them since they came out several years ago and have slowly continued to upgrade cams over time as newer models have come out. I run four of them. All have solar panel\external batteries on them. They stay out 24/7/365 and aside from the occasional bad battery (once a year maybe) or a coon decides to play with your camera and pulls the battery cable loose they just work. With the solar setup these cams never need the internal batteries replaced. They are more expensive than other cell cams out there but I keep going back to Covert based on my experience with them in the past. And just for the record I do not work for them in any way nor am I a pro staffer just a satisfied customer.

Matt
I do not have Covert Code Blacks, but agree TOTALLY on solar panel/external battery. My best setup is a Spartan GoCam (can be verizon or At&T) and HME 12v Solar Panel Power Pack. Has worked 24/7/365. But then again, you are nearby so battery changing not as big of an issue, except when you are in Yellowstone!

Back