Buckwheat plot, clover next??

Creek chub

I have one new plot that has a real good stand of buckwheat right now. I’m itching to plant my fall plot ( at the appropriate time) but not quite sure what I’m going plant next month or early September.

I’m leaning towards planting a Durana / WR mix since this plot may end up with cattle mid to late winter.

Is it okay to spread Durana and winter rye and then mow the buckwheat without spraying it?

I wouldn't spray it, if your buckwheat has flowered mowing it will terminate it. If it's gone into seed you could get some volunteer buckwheat with the clover but a little bit isn't a bad thing for wildlife plots anyway.

Throw ( winter rye and clover) and mow with buckwheat works great for me. I’m north, so I wait until after Labor Day.

IMG_2360.JPG

Did a throw and mow with brassicas into buckwheat. The buckwheat wasn't as tall as I hoped. Wishing for some rain( and a no till planter).

I don't get an after picture. Hopefully I'll get one with the fall crop sprouted.

Rusty

Rusty

Hello, please excuse my rookie question. I am brand new to food plotting. What equipment do you guys use for the "mow" part of throw and mow? I assume my riding mower is not up to the task. Low budget ideas are preferred.

Hello, please excuse my rookie question. I am brand new to food plotting. What equipment do you guys use for the "mow" part of throw and mow? I assume my riding mower is not up to the task. Low budget ideas are preferred.

If a riding lawn mower will go through it, that will work. But, in most situations something bigger is needed. Typically, a tractor with a bushhog is what most people would be using.

I have a walk behind DR Mower that will go through anything and is the Cat's Meow for putting in small throw and mow plots in tight places where a tractor is awkward to use. Plus, the DR is great exercise. Sometimes I use it to mow in places that I could take a tractor, just because I want to get a good workout.

Last edited:
I put in 50 pounds of buck wheat on some smaller food plots this year. It did real well in spite of the drought. I plant on mowing it down some time after August 11-15. Then it will be disked and planted with dwarf Essex rape seed. It is belly seeded and then cultipacked down. I try to plant right before a forecast rain. The rape seed is great later in the fall after a freeze. The buck wheat got plenty of attention from the deer. My friend who keeps 25 bee hives on my land was happy to see it as his bees loved it. It should help build up the soil of these smaller marginal soil plots.

I broadcast my oats, lime and fertilizer into standing buckwheat. Then I pulled my drag harrow behind the four wheeler. The buckwheat laid down really nice. Then I broadcast the Durana and ran over the plot with the four wheeler to pack everything down.

We got a decent rain shower yesterday. I will go back Saturday and see if I got any germination

The stems of the buckwheat are actually hollow inside like straws. It makes for easier termination when it is time to plant the next crop.

Back