Brassica Fertilizer

KSQ2

I’ll be putting in a small 1/3 acre brassica plot tomorrow. I plan to put it in conventionally. My question is about fertilizer. I have a LOT of rabbit litter to use this fall, but might use urea, potash, and phosphorus instead (which I’ve always done in the past), since I’ll be following the brassicas with clover-cereals next year; and I like that p&k help for the new clover. Would it be okay to go with the rabbit litter and forget about the p&k? Not worried about the nitrogen, if I’m using the rabbit litter obviously.

If I’m reading correctly at 1/3 acre and not 1-3 acres, then I wouldn’t think it would matter. Whatever is easier. If you went with bag fertilizer you’d only need a bag so no biggie either way.

Last edited:
Do you have a soil test? I did a soil test on our 1 acre field plot and needed 100 lbs of P&K for brassicas. I planted 1/3 of an acre into brassicas. Needed ~200 lbs of 17-17-17 to get there. So definitely more than just a bag.

Brassica are fast growers and you have short window for success. Rabbit litter not sure response is fast enough.
Bag of 19-19-19 or such and half bag urea at planting.
Spread second half in 30 days. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a soil test? I did a soil test on our 1 acre field plot and needed 100 lbs of P&K for brassicas. I planted 1/3 of an acre into brassicas. Needed ~200 lbs of 17-17-17 to get there. So definitely more than just a bag.
It was crop ground before I took it over for plotting 7 years ago, it’s pretty good soil and getting better. The rye/clover combo has done wonders for it.

Brassica are fast growers and you have short window for success. Rabbit litter not sure response is fast enough.
Bag of 19-19-19 or such and half bag urea at planting.
Spread second half in 30 days. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a bag of urea I’ll throw on it if it gets started. I just didn’t want to put it down not knowing if the rains will come. I did put 50 lbs of 10-20-10 and it’s a little less than a quarter acre, so it should get a decent start, again IF it rains.

Put this brassica/clover plot in 7/23. Throw and drag.

7571708fc7677503bd38e408aeb2e34a.jpg

This was 8/5.

d3d7334be2c1d1ccad8f7be0058c07cf.jpg

Seems like I always ran out of nutrients in the past with yellowing and purpling plants. Hopefully this year is different although I may have over seeded in areas. One above was tilled, packed, broadcast, and packed again. Still getting used to planting after tilling. Get much better germination. Don’t need to over seed at all. Used to throw and mow.

Back