Bear hunting?

Twolftg

I know its not deer related but is anyone else into bear hunting. I have reached the point where my land work for deer is taking the back burner with the Minnesota bear season starting September 1st and baiting starting August 12th. Maybe I will be lucky enough to take another fawn predator out of the population again this year!

I enjoy pursuing...Ursus Americanus. It's become a year-round passion of which I understand little but seek much. I've baited them North of Gitche Gumme, but never in the lower 48 because of state regulations. Good luck to you this fall. I am curious to your baiting techniques.

I enjoy pursuing...Ursus Americanus. It's become a year-round passion of which I understand little but seek much. I've baited them North of Gitche Gumme, but never in the lower 48 because of state regulations. Good luck to you this fall. I am curious to your baiting techniques.
Curious in what way? I do use barrels if I am on private land but they are not allowed on public, so I usually just cut a bunch of 4ft logs from downed trees find a hump in the soil I can dig a little trench against to have a solid back and then fill it up. Cover with logs, spray scent in the trees. Open to any other strategies for sure.baithole.JPG bearbaithole.JPG

I am very interested, especially now that I live in southeastern NC, an area that has a season and a sizeable population.

I've gone to maine a few times on baited hunts for bear. It's not a slam dunk like some believe. I really enjoy it and would love to do it every year, I'm jealous of guys who live in states that can bait.

Keep us posted on how your season goes.

I enjoy it in conjunction with chasing deer. No baiting allowed here and I like it that way. Dogs are allowed in certain parts, actually across the road from my farm but not on my side. I get the dog thing and have friends and family that do that, but I'm not a fan and some of that group think they have rights to anywhere a bear roams.

I enjoy it in conjunction with chasing deer. No baiting allowed here and I like it that way. Dogs are allowed in certain parts, actually across the road from my farm but not on my side. I get the dog thing and have friends and family that do that, but I'm not a fan and some of that group think they have rights to anywhere a bear roams.

I'm a hound, beagle, guy and I understand it from both perspectives. Trespassing isn't right and shouldn't happen but dogs do have a mind of their own and can't read posted signs. I always set my gun down at the property edge to retrieve my dogs if they are chasing a rabbit where they shouldn't be. But at the same time I try to avoid places where there isn't enough property to hunt, while staying where I have permission.

I know bears sometimes don't tree but I don't know how far they will range while being chased. It's tough, but they should be more respectful and only release their hounds where there is adequate land to chase the bear without crossing boundaries.

Here's my most... recent capture from last week. What says you "Bear Whisper" experts for weight guestimation? Crooked Crow thinks 75 poundish??
July 21 pull 2 014 (Small).JPG

I love bear Hunting. Here are some pix from last year.
214a680eded8d257228e1e4731b4f6c2.jpg
7a78045196f3572cc56f565382bfeb1e.jpg
f15a8ba407708ff96667032f676b2fcd.jpg
6041c52332c1fffa16d4ed3dd5492521.jpg

Half the fun for me is getting the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been helping a bear Guide for the past 5 years in Northwest Wisconsin and will be up for a month again this year. Fryer grease is your friend when baiting bear. Pour it on logs, around bait and as high as you can get it into surrounding trees. Liquid smoke works great for scent also. Always try to set up your bait as close to water source as possible. This will get the bears coming to your bait earlier. Bears are very hard to judge size, if you use logs, cut them all the same size so you can use the log to gage size of bear. Also a bears anatomy is not the same as a deer so your aim point should be more about half way or a little higher up on bear. Remember they have 3 inches of hair hanging down on their belly. If hunting in a tree stand, 10 feet is all you want to be, any higher and it will be difficult to get both lungs on a bear. Trust me you don't want to be trailing a bear with only 1 lung hit as your chances for recovery are next to nothing. If you have any questions about bear hunting pm me.

Beautiful Bears HoleHopper.
Thanx! I am guessing your bear to be between 50-75 ish??? Like stated, bears are hard to field judge, let alone out of a pic, unless you have a reference in the pic, like a barrel or something.

A few years back I got privileged enough to own a few acres in central MN. looking to put in plots and deer hunt on it. I was surprised by the amount of quality animals that were using the property as there are houses and farms surrounding the aria. Along with all the hoopla that goes with it. Dogs, target practice, loud music, ext. ext. But nonetheless, I am happy with our investment. Bears show up on pics on regular basis. If I plant corn the bears destroy it. I am in a lottery aria.:( 1/2 mile away from the no quota boundary. I am told that it takes 4-5 years to get drawn for a tag. It will be a couple more years befor I can even get an opertunity to hunt my land for a bear.
Last year I got lucky as I was able to get a surplus license. I passed up the bear in the last two pics with the hopes that the bear in the first two pics would come in as I have two years of pics from him. He is a stud!!! But he never showed. Oh well, I got some fantastic pics!!
So this year a friend is letting me hunt his land that is in the no-quota aria not far away. I may not be so picky.:D

yah south of there towards Ogilvee. ahh your in 51 also. (3 years) good to know! I got three years of pics of that buck. Either he is really smart or I am really dumb, or both!

Last edited:
I have been thinking about going on a bear hunt sometime. Anybody have any good outfitters that they would recommend?

What is your... bait of choice? How often are you baiting? What scents do you prefer?
I prefered base bait is trail mix, especially for my baits I don't use barrels at. It handles rain well, can only be taken mouthfuls at a time, and is high in carbs and protien both things they are looking for to pack on weight. I am usually able to get by baiting once a week, would like to make it once every 5 days but it doesn't always fit my schedule but I always make sure I get out 2-3 days before the season opener so I don't have to bait opening day. As for scents I use a mixture I get a bottle of anise extract and mix it with some vegetable oil and water so I can spray it out of a spray bottle on leaves and trees. I also buy some commercial caramel apple or something sweet. The day I set up my bait I do either a bacon burn or make "bear crack" which is real powerful smelling to initial bring them in. Like Terrific_tom said I spread bunch of oil around my bait to get into the paws. As previous stated I am far from an expert and am about 4 years into the self taught endeavor, first bear last year.

bear.jpg

IMO, trail mix is the steak of any bait. They keep coming back for more and I don't think they get tired of it with a belly ache as they do with a lot of sweets. It provides the right kinds of protein and carbs that they need going into fall. I.E. acorns! I do use anise as a attractant also although I plan to use liquid smoke mixed with some vegetable oil so it sticks to there pads this year. I tried doughnuts and the like but they just walked right by that stuff for the trail mix, and the coons would clean up the sweets.
This year will be the first time I bait with a barrel. I am having a hard time deciding where and how big or small to cut the holes. saw something on YouTube where he was recommending small holes so the bait would just trickle out. Might just help preserve the bait from the coons?? Last year I went through two 55 gal barrels of the mix. Would be nice if I only had to get one barrel.
BTW. nice first bear!:) Let me know how things go for you this year. Good luck

Back