Arrow Poking Through

BeckFarms

IMAG0318.JPG Got pics of this buck last November with a crossbow arrow sticking out of his shoulder. I estimated him at 4.5 last year and he was on my "hit list". I assumed he wouldn't make it through the winter but last week I got several pics of him. He appears to be healthy but I can't imagine having an arrow stuck all the way through to the off shoulder.

Yep, suckers are tough. Always get a kick out of folks talking about putting one out of it's misery. They ain't people!! Really fouled up his rack though. We had one somebody shot in the knee with a rifle back in '06. He was a big nine that year. The following year he grew a rack kinda like this one but the second year after he was back to a monster 8. Got pictures of him on camera for years after the injury, all at night. Never saw him alive. Assume he died of old age.

Would have to be a pretty tough arrow! You would have though he would have splittered it off by now. He would be at the top of my list just to be able to autopsy!

This is now the 3rd straight year I have gotten pics of this particular buck. I thought he was a nice 3.5 year old back in 2014, so he will definitely be on the hit list because of his age. The autopsy would be cool, but I have a new admiration for the big guy so I don't know if I would actually take the shot. Plus those front shoulders can't be edible.

wow I'm amazed - would love to know at time of harvest what that arrow had connected with and how it healed. - Deer have an amazing will to live - I learn from them every year the value of life!

Dang that stinks... wonder if the broadhead or fletching end of the shaft is still in him. Guessing the broadhead end or he would've pulled it out. Surprised it didn't mess up its antler growth this year.

Have found more than 1 broadhead when skinning a deer. Found 1 buried in the back of a deer's skull once, bet that deer had a headache for awhile!

Crazy. He has a strong will to survive. Survived not only the shot but also any infection that occurred.

One tough boy. He'd probably get a pass from me also.
Todd

Dang that stinks... wonder if the broadhead or fletching end of the shaft is still in him. Guessing the broadhead end or he would've pulled it out. Surprised it didn't mess up its antler growth this year.

It did completely change his rack this year. The last 2 years he was a heavy 8 point that had a wide frame and then really bowed inward through the tines to create almost a heart. This year he is very narrow and tall framed with a lot of junk on his passenger side.

Amazing animals. I would pass on him, how can you shoot something that has this type of survivor mentality. He deserves to die of old age given his will to live out his life with this injury, just my $.02.

Probably my most common tracking call. Try convincing a hunter that the deer they hit "high in the boiler room" is still alive. That shot is above the lungs or he would be dead. Even if the initial lung healed up, the constant arrow movement wouldn't allow it to stay up. The vertebral column and surrounding muscles can be easily 4-6" deep in a mature deer. That is a blackstrap shot, no doubt. They are truly tough critters. He still gets the coup de gras from me though if he ventures past.

Back