Arrest Herbicide and sweet corn

Brow_Tine

I read that sweet corn is considered a grass. If I use Arrest (clethodim) before I plant the sweet corn will it not allow the seed to germinate? Does anyone know if it’s residual? I am using the corn as a screen. Hoping to get some corn for the family and the deer can have the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Clethodim will only kill what is green and growing with contact. What ever sprouts next day will live. Just like glyphosate. If saturated clethodim with crop oil make contact with seed, some germination may be effected. However, if you till two weeks after spraying Clethodim, then plant corn, there should be no effect.

Just curious why you wouldn't just use glyphosate which would be cheaper and work faster and kill more stuff?

There are many pre emergent herbicides designed specifically for sweet corn such as Dual, Gramoxone Max3L, Prowl, Eradicane, Bicep, Callisto, Bullet etc. that will work much better than clethodim in that setting. You'd have to check which ones you can buy without a license, or have a farmer friend get some for you.

You prob will need a good size plot for corn. Lots of critters get to it too, not just deer. Not sure how big your plot is going to be, but just an FYI.

Around my area I need to put too low double hot wires around my sweet corn. One ankle high and one about 10 inches above that. The coons will break your heart, they usually will just trash a whole decent size plot right as it matures. I have had them trash it the night before I was gonna start picking.
What's even more frustrating is they leave it everywhere and each ear left on the ground will be less than half eaten and sometimes just a bite or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around my area I need to put too low double hot wires around my sweet corn. One ankle high and one about 10 inches above that. The coons will break your heart, they usually will just trash a whole decent size plot right as it matures. I have had them trash it the night before I was gonna start picking.
What's even more frustrating is they leave it everywhere and each ear left on the ground will be less than half eaten and sometimes just a bite or two.

Thanks for the reply. Ya i am worried about the coons as well. Im always getting them on the trail cams. I am looking into an electric fence

Electric fence is 100% a necessity unless your only goal is to feed raccoons. Those things are @$$h0/€$

Electric fence is 100% a necessity unless your only goal is to feed raccoons. Those things are @$$h0/€$

Yep I have one specked out from Tractor Supply. This is for next season. Thanks for the input. I was going to try and get it in this year but ran out of time. Im glad I decided to wait and not rush it.

In the old fur harvesting days Dad and I had pulled into a twenty acre sweet corn complex to run the hounds in the off season just before the corn was to be picked. Dogs struck immediately even before we let them out of the box. We shined our lights into the hedgerows and counted 72 coons in the trees. Likely twice as many had run off going past the hedgerow trees. Being the off season none were shot but we called the farmer the next morning to let him know what was up. It took a good three years of heavy harvesting before we saw that population dwindle to a manageable size for the farmer.

Back