Acorns sprouting

Heart shot

i collected about a dozen acorns this fall. They were put in the fridge with a damp paper towel. Now they are sprouting in the bag. What should I do with them as a next step? Can I leave till spring?

Or do need to get them into soil ASAP? I do not have an indoor growing place except a window sill.

Any advice?

In my experience they will be fine, keep them as cold as possible without freezing and plant as soon as the ground thaws in the spring.

I agree - keep them cold but damp so they don't dry out. You can put them in soil now if you want to grow them inside, but if your plan was for direct seeding then your best bet is to simply keep them in cold storage. Growing them inside if your not prepared and depending on the numbers could be much more work and more difficult than you intend.

I've had sprouted acorns in the fridge for months with no problem. Like stated just keep the roots moist.

Are these white oaks? Im guessing so. Just keep them cold until spring and plant them out. Or.... pot them up in the house late winter if thats your plan.

Thanks for the replies. I'll add another damp cloth and keep them in the fridge. They are white oaks I collected from a big tree at a park. First time doing this so only have about a dozen.

Back